Back on the Road Again

richred_uk
richred_uk Posts: 167
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
In just 10 hours time I will be allowed back on the road for the first time in 6 months. :D

Last summer my knee went very painful, and after a month of being told it was tendon strain, then when my calf ballooned being told it was a Baker's Cyst, I was diagnosed with a large DVT in my leg and put on blood thinning meds for 6 months, during which time I wasn't allowed to ride on the road as an off could have meant bleeding out or internal bleeding far too easily.

Of course my first road bike was delivered 1 day after diagnosis and has sat taunting me for the last 6 months (especially as each CTW payment comes out of my paycheck) and has seen some minor action on a turbo that was lent to me by a very kind rider.

Tomorrow I'll be back on the folding commuter to get to my weekend college course - first riding since late August.

Then on Sunday, the pretty shiny Caad8 gets taken out for it's first spin around Hertfordshire.

I don't care how many people pass me, what speed I do, how far I get before lack of fitness catches up with me, on Sunday, I will feel truly awesome to just get out there again.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited March 2011
    richred_uk wrote:
    Last summer my knee went very painful, and after a month of being told it was tendon strain, then when my calf ballooned being told it was a Baker's Cyst, I was diagnosed with a large DVT in my leg and put on blood thinning meds for 6 months, during which time I wasn't allowed to ride on the road as an off could have meant bleeding out or internal bleeding far too easily.

Jeez, some people will do anything to get out of riding in the snow!

Seriously though, glad things are all sorted. It must have been a nightmare having a new bike (and such a nice one) and not being allowed to ride it.

I hope you have a great return to the saddle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Go for it and enjoy yourself!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Congratulations fella.

Edit: Ridden a CAAD 8 - was seriously impressed. Such a likeable frame.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Bloody hard. I'm really pleased to hear that you have recovered well.

Enjoy! :-)
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    Things that I found out today

It all hurts - all of me!

6 months away from riding means that you will not be able to do even one circuit of your training route properly on your first day back!

So *that's* what people mean by bonking (at about 16 miles of 21 mile circuit)

If you buy crud road racers for the caad, fit them to the caad BEFORE riding, that way you won't get a wet arse when the skies open up

Riding still gives me a HUGE grin, the caad is a joy to ride and I'll be back out on a revised route next weekend - hopefully a week of semi-commuting will get me slightly back towards fitness.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Great stuff. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    It is surprising how quickly the fitness will start to come back
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010