Need advice for payment method and international shiping

alex6279
alex6279 Posts: 4
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I am looking for to buy a bike/frame from a private owner in UK and I came here to ask you what is the safest method for both of us to make this trade.

I was thinking to ask for C.O.D but as I saw, many of the sellers ask for cash on pickup.....

So, what is your advice?
Ask only for C.O.D?
What is the best/cheap courier to forward me the parcel in Bucharest (Romania) and, if possible, to collect the parcel directly from the owner?

Thank you all in advance,
Alex

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    The seller would be nuts to accept cash on delivery. Paypal would be a fairly good way of transferring cash as they offer a certain level of buyer protection. Maybe ask the seller if he ever sells through eBay and then you can check if he has a decent feedback rating. Beyond that, Parcelforce is pretty much the simplest way for a private seller to ship.

You could always buy yourself a cheap return flight and treat yourself to a trip to the UK?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You could always buy yourself a cheap return flight and treat yourself to a trip to the UK?

No! Buy yourself a cheap one way flight and ride your new bike all the way home!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Find a friend who works for a large company with a corporate rate with (e.g.) FedEx. I had a 6' by 4' oil painting that I inherited shipped from Washington DC to the UK for £32 using my corporate deal - got here in two days. Man-on-the-street price? £420.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh yeah, JT is spot on with PayPal via eBay if the seller is ameneable.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • alex6279
    alex6279 Posts: 4
    The seller would be nuts to accept cash on delivery. Paypal would be a fairly good way of transferring cash as they offer a certain level of buyer protection. Maybe ask the seller if he ever sells through eBay and then you can check if he has a decent feedback rating. Beyond that, Parcelforce is pretty much the simplest way for a private seller to ship.

Thanks for the advice. I have to read more about paypal cause I never used it