If Not The Boardman, What??

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I've ordered a 2010 Boardman Comp from Halfords through my companies bike loan scheme but they seem to be in very short supply at the moment.
As I've been told that the voucher for buying the bike may take up to two weeks to arrive, what other Halfords bikes are worth looking at for a similar price if the Comp is sold out by the time the voucher arrives?

Other options from Halfords in a similar price bracket seem to be the Carrera Vanquish:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

The 2011 Boardman Road Race for an extra few £

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

The 2011 Boardman Road Comp is tempting but it kind of breaks my £600 budget!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#dtab

Any suggestions as to what I should go for?

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Might be worth going in and asking if they'll reserve one for you. It's not like you'll go elsewhere with the vouchers.

You'll struggle to up your budget if you've already ordered the vouchers. Not many of them will let you top up so you're stuck with your voucher price.

Halfords can get bikes brought in from other places, I think one of the places they get a lot in from is Leisure Lakes. Have a look at their website, see what you can get. Tbh they can get in most brands except the sole distributor ones, like Focus. You will have to pay RRP as they can't get bikes in at discounted prices.

If I was you I'd have a look around at the moment but not do anything until they say they're out of stock.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • WisePranker
    styxd wrote:

That's the one I've ordered, I'm looking for possible alternatives.

I'll have to speak to one of the shops about reserving one but the guy I spoke to on Friday didn't seem too sure about it.
    As far as I'm aware we get gift vouchers to buy the bike with on this scheme rather than the cycle2work vouchers. I'll double check it all on Monday.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Yep, I agree with going in and putting down a £50 deposit. You should be able to get this back when you get your voucher. Ask them to make sure but If you can't, use that credit for helmet/drink bottle.drink cage etc.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • WisePranker
    I'll try a couple of the stores with stock tomorrow and see how I get on.

Just to clarify, it's not the cycle2work scheme, it's basically an interest free loan to buy a bike with and as far as I'm aware we basically get gift vouchers to buy the bike with! I'll confirm this on Monday if I can't reserve one then I'll see what I can do from there.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Sounds like a cycle to work scheme to me....................
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • WisePranker
    teulk wrote:
    Sounds like a cycle to work scheme to me....................

No, like I said it's a basic 10 month interest free loan. There's no tax or NI benefits with this scheme unlike the cycle to work schemes.