Tsunami

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Not the best really. Boats and train missing, petrochemical plant exploding and a nuclear powerstation over-heating. :(
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Mother Nature is being a bit of a b***h this year :?
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    We could expect a few more incidences of earthquakes in the coming week or two than usual. Aparently the moon will be at its perogee on the 12th March, ie closest point to the earth on its elliplical orbit, so it will exert its greatest gravitaional force on the earth.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sirius631 wrote:
    We could expect a few more incidences of earthquakes in the coming week or two than usual. Aparently the moon will be at its perogee on the 12th March, ie closest point to the earth on its elliplical orbit, so it will exert its greatest gravitaional force on the earth.

Was this your source?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... rmoon.html
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:

Was this your source?

B0llox, utter, and, complete - rearrange to form response to Moon causing this earthquake.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited March 2011
    kelsen wrote:
    Sirius631 wrote:

Was this your source?

B0llox, utter, and, complete - rearrange to form response to Moon causing this earthquake.
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Astrologers predicted that on March 19 - a week tomorrow - the so-called 'supermoon' will be closer to Earth than at any time since 1992, just 221,567 miles away, and that its gravitational pull will bring chaos to Earth.

Astrologers, Ladies and Gentlemen. Astrologers. :lol:
  • kelsen
    I think we need an authority on this matter to settle it.

Paging Jeremy Rundle!

:wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,292
    kelsen wrote:

Paging Jeremy Rundle!

He's an Astronomy not Astrology

Though he does seem be a leading authority on bollox, both utter and complete
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wallace1492
    BBC quoting 88,000 missing... surely not. :shock:
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

Paging Jeremy Rundle!

He's an Astronomy not Astrology

Though he does seem be a leading authority on bollox, both utter and complete

I know, hence the :wink: The former hates being called the latter.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh

My

God

scroll down to the comments section :shock: :shock: :shock:
    All due to emptying the centre of this planet, and overweight of concrete cities, spiralling the planet out of control - CB, UK, 11/3/2011 No surprise you got red arrowed as people only see the ends of their noses but I have often wondered how we can keep dispalicing all that weight and liquid by taking oil out of the ground and it not have any effect on the gravity of the earth. So CB there are two idiots in the world.......or are we.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • BBC quoting 88,000 missing... surely not. :shock:

My folks were in Sri Lanka when the Tsunami hit there. They were OK, but it was a really close thing. The number of people missing just kept going up and up when I was watching the news channels that Boxing Day. Hundreds of thousands of people. Japan is a very highly populated country, it could be even worse.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Pacific plate sliding under the Asian Plate - jammed, built up stress and bingo. No input from Moon, Tides, or LGM necessary
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    They are quoting the Moon thing on the BBC too, I guess in theory the increased gravitational pull might be the final straw that triggers the movement between the plates but I think I'm sticking with the bollox, complete and utter for now.
    The pictures are incredible.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • tailwindhome
    Was it the poofs? They got the blame the last time.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wallace1492
    I hope the Shimano factory is allright....

But in all seriousness, as the day has gone on, it looks worse and worse....
  • timestar
    timestar Posts: 226

And in all seriousness you just made a joke about a national disaster in which more than 300 have already been announced as dead. You are a complete prat.
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    They are quoting the Moon thing on the BBC too, I guess in theory the increased gravitational pull might be the final straw that triggers the movement between the plates but I think I'm sticking with the bollox, complete and utter for now.

I'd be quite surprised if the Moon has that strong a gravitational effect. IIRC, one of the moons of one of the two gas giants has unexpected volcanic activity because it is little, and has an odd orbit, and gets bent out of shape by Jupiter/Saturn's massive gravitational field. If the Earth isn't bending the Moon around significantly, how on earth (ha!) is the Moon able to bend the Earth?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    god help them, I can't even imagine what it must be like.
  • Wallace1492
    timestar wrote:

And in all seriousness you just made a joke about a national disaster in which more than 300 have already been announced as dead. You are a complete prat.

I made a light hearted comment to try and allieviate the absolute seriousness of the situation. Being able to laugh in the face of disaster has helped the human race survive and flourish. You may not have liked the context, and you are entitled to your opinion. However as someone that regularly fund raises for disasters, and contribes to appeals, and in this instance brought the disaster to the attention of this forum, it is maybe a bit much to call me a complete prat.
  • tailwindhome
    Wallace you are Rodney Marsh and I claim my £5
  • kelsen
    timestar wrote:

knee...jerk...ouch!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The really odd thing about the "Supermoon" article in the daily mail is that they've put in an accurate description of how tectonics cause earthquakes....

They're just trolling again. Mention something stupid like "Supermoon" and people come flocking, both those who believe that rubbish and those who are indignant about the DM once again posting complete BS. Genius....
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

I'd be quite surprised if the Moon has that strong a gravitational effect. IIRC, one of the moons of one of the two gas giants has unexpected volcanic activity because it is little, and has an odd orbit, and gets bent out of shape by Jupiter/Saturn's massive gravitational field. If the Earth isn't bending the Moon around significantly, how on earth (ha!) is the Moon able to bend the Earth?

Well that's what I thought but then the gravitational pull of the moon is sufficient to make billions of tons of waters go sloshing around the earth twice a day....
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Well that's what I thought but then the gravitational pull of the moon is sufficient to make billions of tons of waters go sloshing around the earth twice a day....

Put some water on a tile. Blow on it. Your puff will move the water no problem. Don't suppose it will crack the tile.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Put some water on a tile. Blow on it. Your puff will move the water no problem. Don't suppose it will crack the tile.

What if God blows on the tile because he's very, very cross?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Gravity is not the same as wind.
  • bigbelly
    bigbelly Posts: 83
    My whole wife's family including my wife and 1 year old son were going to go to Sendai this April to celebrate my father-in-laws 60th Birthday. Thank God they weren't in Japan when it happened, I would have gone out of my mind with worry...

Makes you think about all those that now have to rebuild their country and lives.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

What if God blows on the tile because he's very, very cross?

I was having a chat with God the other day and he said he was going to bring death and destruction on all non-Christians. I guess he's started.

Seriously though, Japan has been hit hard and I hope they recover quickly. I wish them all the best.

The gravitational effect of the 'supermoon' on a tectonic plate is about the same as my blinking effecting a speeding freight train in New York.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Gravity is not the same as wind.

s'true - one lets you down, the other blows you off
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    So Japan has had an earthquake, a tsunami and now a radiation leak.

I can't be the only one waiting for Godzilla to show up.