Gel Gloves

mud skipper
mud skipper Posts: 24
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Help choosing gloves,

Got a few pairs of gloves with gell inserts. And after a while my palms ache at first I thought it was my grips so changed to ergo grips which where comfy but back came the aching.

So decided not to wear gloves and hands felt fine but could do with some hand protection against branches and bramble bushes.

So i'm looking for a glove with no gel inserts. Open to reccomendations, LBS dosen't have any gel less gloves.

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    These are my all time favourite gloves. Minimal padding and just enough protection on the back without being super warm

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... x?&id=4271
  • How does the size of the gel iserts compare to endura gloves.

Thanks for the link
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I wear fox unabomber in all but the coldest weather. I'm on my third pair and wouldn't buy anything else.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    How does the size of the gel iserts compare to endura gloves.

Thanks for the link

There are no gel inserts in these gloves, no padding at all. Great for feel and grip
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Are you putting a lot of your weight on the palms? Might not be the gloves...

But for palmless gloves I use 661 Raji
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd be very wary of buying gloves based on the recommendation of other people. They all have a particular fit. I find, for example that Fox gloves fit perfectly, as do Dakine, but 661 and Endura just don't work at all with my hands.
    Go try a few out at a bike shop. I'm sure you'll find a pair that will fit, well, like a glove.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    I had a similar problem to you and after considerable faffing around I found it wasn't the type of glove that affected my hands, but the size.

I found after a while when my hands ached removing my gloves eased the pain.

I haven't got huge hands, but I bought a larger size of gloves (XL), which are an ever so slightly baggy fit, problem solved.
  • Atz
    Rarely agree with yeehaamcgee but I hate the fit of 661 gloves so you need to try gloves on to see what suits
  • Anonymous
    Atz wrote:
    Rarely agree with yeehaamcgee
    You must be wrong so very very often then :lol:
  • Atz
    See, you're wrong again :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • Briggo wrote:
    Are you putting a lot of your weight on the palms? Might not be the gloves...

But for palmless gloves I use 661 Raji

I did actually think that at first but once I removed the gloves my hands felt fine.

Looks like a trip to edinburgh cycles as they have a large selection of gloves.

Thanks for the replys.
  • Had the same issue wrt gel gloves.. I never wear them anymore and go for straight leather palms these days.
    It's a personal thing i suppose but i think its possibly down to hand size and grip diameter.. the gel gloves are effecively increasing your grip diameter.... hence the potential for hand strain.