Cycling my 2 Children to School

spanner501
spanner501 Posts: 5
I am a father with 2 step children which enjoy cycling to school. The trouble is there are no bike shelters for them to store their bikes. My daughter is trying to design a multiple bike carrier bit like the trail-Gator but allows multiple bikes to be attached? This would allow me to cycle home with the bikes and i would know they were safe within my home!

What are your thoughts on this idea, i feel it would be suited for me but are there any others out there with this problem?

Many Thanks Mark

Comments

• thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    First step would be to ask the school for some bike stands. Don't know where you live, but a lock around the wheel is secure enough in most schools I would think?
  • I often think of something similar, I only have 1 son at school at the minute and he enjoys riding his bike, the school provide railings to lock bikes to however they are in the playground next to the main walkway into the classrooms and his old bike had become damaged due to kids running into it and bending his front wheel, they also dont provide a shelter for the bikes so they will be exposed to all the bad weather.

I've often thought it would be good to have something that I could use to attach my sons bike to mine so I can cycle his bike home again.

If you find something or develop something and want it testing I'm happy to lend a hand

Matthew
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    A number of our bikes live out of doors. They aren't made of sugar. Semi-regular (or not so regular) maintenance keeps them looking OK. The odd rusty bolt? Meh.

The potential for damage is another thing entirely, although kids running past would unlikely damage a wheel? Surely that sounds more malicious?

Interested to hear what your daughter comes up with... another one I thought of was something that allows you to push a pram and have a bike follow. That was about as far as it got. The 'idea'. :roll:
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thank you for your ideas and help, i will update you on what my daughter decides on.

Your thoughts are very helpful for her as its very good research.
    Again Thanks
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    spanner501 wrote:
    I am a father with 2 step children which enjoy cycling to school. The trouble is there are no bike shelters for them to store their bikes. My daughter is trying to design a multiple bike carrier bit like the trail-Gator but allows multiple bikes to be attached? This would allow me to cycle home with the bikes and i would know they were safe within my home!

What are your thoughts on this idea, i feel it would be suited for me but are there any others out there with this problem?

Many Thanks Mark
    Hassles your LEA about lack of cycle facilities in the school - health benefits, climate change etc etc.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.