5 day off road expedition bike.

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I currently own a heavily upgraded light Boardman Team HT and a stock Commencal Meta 5.5 Pro.

I am doing the Scottish Coast to Coast in May and this obviously involves going up a lot of hills, rough ground and many miles day to day.

Question: Which bike will be better? The full suss, soaking up the roughness but struggling up looong climbs with no pro pedal and extra weight OR the HT rattling away on descents and rough ground while climbing like a goat?

Other things to consider: Im not enjoying the Metas Juicy 3's and have heard a lot of reports of the Float R shock sticking down (which would be a disaster). Also, I will be wearing quite a heavy back pack.

So....the choice is yoooooooooooours!!

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'm looking at doing the full Pennine Way this summer and have the same conundrum. I would be tempted to take the full suss as if you have a heavy backpack on your spine and arse is going to have to take some a lot of force when over rough ground. The weight of the frame might be the least of your worries - rather how is your back going to cope with the sack and the rough terrain? The full suss will be your best friend in this case taking much of the force of impacts upon a loaded spine away.

If you can do the coast to coast comfortably, you should be able to do it with a pound more weight.

If you don't like the brakes on the Meta, why not swap over the better ones (not knowing what they are) from the Boardman? Make the best bike you can out of combining what you've got.

I am also going to get a seatpost mounted pannier rack for light weight things - a sleeping bag probably.

How are you bedding down? Bivvy? Youth Hostel? Tent?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    The Boardman would be quicker over "average" ground...but it depends on how gruelling the route is in terms of terrain. As a coast to coast I would imagine that it will be mainly stuff that's ok on an XC bike rather than big drops and the like.

I guess with the FS you have the comfort factor and the fact you have more bike for all eventualities..what would be niggling me though is the extra effort it would be costing!!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    edited March 2011
    I'd be inclined to take the Meta 5.5 as it's meant to be great for endurance riding. Having the softer ride over that distance would be nicer than rattling around a lot. You'd be fine on both but I'd prefer a more comfortable ride. Isn't your Meta good at climbing? I think a little extra weight is ok. On the bike I mean not your belly. :?
    Many happy trails!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Also thinking that they started riding that route in the early 80's without any suspension and I'm sure a lot of people ride a hard tail on the route. Are you going on a guided tour? I'm sure they could give you some good beta and then you can make up your mind.

Have fun, it looks amazing.
    Many happy trails!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Not guided. I take on board all that is said. I will be doing it with a couple of other who only have HT's as well. This alone puts me in the mind that I ought to do it on a HT as well.

Im doing a 2 dayer in the Nevis range next weekend and have to use the Meta so will see how that goes.

Accomodation will be bunk houses with a couple of wild camps thrown in at designated points. Will travel as light as possible but it wont be easy to do that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are the weight differences in the bikes? Maybe a sus seatpost if comfort is an issue on the HT?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Full suss. Always, for everything.