Could this be the most costly £5 I've ever spent?

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Oh dear, in a moment of boredom I bought a £5 set of scales from eBay which turned up this morning.
My CR-1 is currently coming in at 9.2kg. The FG commuter is 12.2kg. and my panniers are a further 4.6kg (half the weight of the CR-1!!)

My wife's Giant is 11.2kg with rack and embarrassingly my daughters Gary Fisher 20" wheel MTB is 12.6kg, no wonder she can never keep up!

Anyway I'm off to sign up for Weightweenies now and see if I can get the 9.2kg down to 9.15kg for less than £500. :wink:
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Bike weights are a funny thing - I think I worked out that my son's balance bike is almost as heavy as my best road bike! Together they weigh almost as much as my Ridgeback...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    sounds reasonble to me, the reported weights much like average speeds tend to be less than the whole truth to be honest.

my last commute bike which was a little heavy, weighing it came out at 50LB my wife's hybrid is 40LB give or take. I'd guess my SS commute bike is closer to 30LB than 20LB.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    In a weight weenie moment I weighed my aluminium framed roadbike (geared) and my steel (Raleigh 18-23) commuter (FG). The roadbike is about 11kg and the commuter is about 10kg despite the (relatively) heavy frame.

Just shows how much a cassette, derailleurs and two extra chainrings weigh (as well as extra cables, rear brake and a few links of chain).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    In a weight weenie moment I weighed my aluminium framed roadbike (geared) and my steel (Raleigh 18-23) commuter (FG). The roadbike is about 11kg and the commuter is about 10kg despite the (relatively) heavy frame.

Just shows how much a cassette, derailleurs and two extra chainrings weigh (as well as extra cables, rear brake and a few links of chain).

Interesting. I've always wondered why off the peg single speeds seem to be quite so heavy?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    take the seat off and turn it upside down - see how much water pours out.....
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    sounds reasonble to me, the reported weights much like average speeds tend to be less than the whole truth to be honest.
    my last commute bike which was a little heavy, weighing it came out at 50LB my wife's hybrid is 40LB give or take. I'd guess my SS commute bike is closer to 30LB than 20LB.

Agree. My flat bar road bike is made of Steel and has a heavy rear hub. It weighs much more than my aluminium rigid mtb. Yet, the heavier bike is actually much faster and far nicer to ride than the highly geared mtb.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Could be, could be. I'd expect the CR1 to be about 1-1.5kg lighter than that. Mine's closer to 7.25 without any upgrades (2007 CD-SL model).
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    BigMat wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Interesting. I've always wondered why off the peg single speeds seem to be quite so heavy?

Cheap frames, usually. Expensive FG/SS bikes are near custom, hence the cost. I suspect that for the bigger manufacturer the savings on a partial groupset for a FG/SS will largely be offset by the uplifts due to low volumes.

Cheers,
    W.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My Tricross single breaks the scales at 19lb and the Allex at 21lb, this is before I add all the bits and pieces to the bike like computer, saddlebag and 95kg on the saddle :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Butterd2
    JonGinge wrote:
    Could be, could be. I'd expect the CR1 to be about 1-1.5kg lighter than that. Mine's closer to 7.25 without any upgrades (2007 CD-SL model).

Mine's the Team (105) in 58cm frame with wheels swapped from Aksiums to Ksyrium Elites. I didn't take the seat bag off and lightweight waterproof was still in bottle cage. Off for a re-weigh.....
    Or maybe I'll wait until I've fitted my ceramic BB.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    My BTwin BSO (Riverside 7) falls just short of 38lbs, plus pannier and lights. Wouldn't cost much to buy a new bike that comes in at half that, and I look forward to how easy it'll feel! Might just start off by getting fit on this one, though.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Mine's the Team (105) in 58cm frame with wheels swapped from Aksiums to Ksyrium Elites. I didn't take the seat bag off and lightweight waterproof was still in bottle cage. Off for a re-weigh.....
    Or maybe I'll wait until I've fitted my ceramic BB.

Ok with the bag/pump and waterproof off it now comes in at 8.45kg. Still got the Conti 4 seasons on which are a little heavier than the 4000's I usually have.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    A while back I managed to shave 3lbs off the weight of my Trek 1.7 - hmmm that was money NOT well spent, still it passed the time.

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pianoleo wrote:
    My BTwin BSO (Riverside 7) falls just short of 38lbs, plus pannier and lights. Wouldn't cost much to buy a new bike that comes in at half that, and I look forward to how easy it'll feel! Might just start off by getting fit on this one, though.

There are those who will say this is making a virture of a necessity; however I swear that pushing 11.5kg at the weekend feels 100 times easier after spending my 5 days commuting shifting about 17kg.
    I call it resistance training - deliberately loading up with wet sand is not part of it however...
    "Consider the grebe..."