Japan earthquake

Le Commentateur
Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Watching BBC News at the moment... Some incredible images of the tsunami relentlessly moving inland on the low lying farmland....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709850

:shock:

Apparently the force was 8.8 – about 100 times stronger than the Kobe quake of the mid-90s.

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm watching it, just now, myself. Serious sh1t!

I'm getting the same sense of unreality that I felt watching the second plane fly into the World Trade Centre.

The Tsunami looks to be more serious than the earthquake itself.

The pictures are amazing: the ship caught in a whirlpool, an artic being pushed along the road, cars moving across the path of the approaching wavefront (the drivers must be kaking themselves, I would).

I wonder how it'll affect the other countries on the Pacific Rim?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    6ft high tsunami reported in mid-ocean.
    Look for 30-60ft waves hitting the Hawaian chain, it'll strip the veneer of civilisation off Pacific Atolls, large waves will strike the West Coast of the USA.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • All that debris being carried at the front of the wave – even if it's just a few feet high, that can't be survivable.
  • Crapaud
    I just saw a house bobbing along on the wavefront!. :shock:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Terrible scenes, all the cars in the wave engulfing farmland look like dinky toys, the pictures don't give the sense of scale. The seaborne tsunami is taller than many of the islands in its path,

5th biggest quake in a century. Biggest nr Japan in 140 years 1000x the NZ one & aftershocks bigger than many main quakes (sky tv figs)
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    im watching it on sky live on 501 looks like there sending international aid god bless them
    going downhill slowly
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    holy crap. I only got onto it from the warning on googles page. horrendously awesome. :cry:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Really awful scenes, I feel for the people out there.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I'd expect a few more over the next couple of weeks. The moon will be at its closes point to the earth on the 12th March, so will exert its greatest gravitational force then.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    just been looking on usa eathquake data website, theres been a lot of quakes recently in that area, mainly 4-5 magnitude before the big one, the tsunami is a disaster in itself but had the main quake happened inland that would have been catastrophic.

god speed aid to the needy,
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    Look for 30-60ft waves hitting the Hawaian chain, it'll strip the veneer of civilisation off Pacific Atolls, large waves will strike the West Coast of the USA.

any sign of those 60ft waves yet..?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    My brother lives near Tokyo with his family. He was inside a building when the quake hit and described the whole building as being 'lifted' - like when you drive over a speed hump. The school he works in is built on reclaimed land, and it sounds as if the soil has liquified.Scary stuff indeed.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    i must say it is very bad. A friend was caught up in the last boxing day one, albeit not in the immediate area.

He described how the sea just disappeared and his sister was trying to rescue fish! Luckily he knew what had happened and got the both of them to safety before it hit.

Very scary stuff.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Things just got a lot worse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

And I wonder if this earthquake will lead to further stresses being released elsewhere. Perhaps the overdue Great Tokyo Earthquake (the one that will prompt another global downturn, it's just a question of when rather than if...) has just been made more likely as a result?
  • DIESELDOG
    Holy crap

No love n hugs this time

DD

• OffTheBackAdam
    Looks like the risk of major tsunami has receeded.
    Now the problem's the nuclear power stations.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pg4uogOEUrU&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    The "Money Shot" is at 47seconds.
    It appears not to be one of the containment buildings (The cubes).
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Crapaud
    According to the BBC, 5 reactors have been put on a state of emergency!!! :shock:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I'm a pretty cold hearted sod most of the time but seeing those tiny cars with people in them, trying to get away along roads that were being swamped, I cried for them. Poor poor bastards.
  • DIESELDOG
    Bunneh wrote:
    I'm a pretty cold hearted sod most of the time but seeing those tiny cars with people in them, trying to get away along roads that were being swamped, I cried for them. Poor poor bastards.

+1

DD

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited March 2011
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    My brother lives near Tokyo with his family. He was inside a building when the quake hit and described the whole building as being 'lifted' - like when you drive over a speed hump. The school he works in is built on reclaimed land, and it sounds as if the soil has liquified.Scary stuff indeed.

In Tokyo itself the big building towers there are constructed with active suspensions allowing them to react to wave forces from quakes. The construction rules are very strict, as they should be. In China or anywhere else these would have come down:

http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-snc6/8 ... a10add6400
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Yep, when I lived in Japan, I remember staying in a high rise hotel in Shinjuku in Tokyo - it was built on giant springs or something. You could feel it swaying slightly when you went to the top floors.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011 ... mi.html?hp

Dragging the split-screen icon on that link starts to give an idea of the scale. :cry:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    Oh dear, a touch too much sun? :roll:
  • Crapaud
    It turns out that she's a troll lampooning the fundies. Follow the comments (page 4, I think). Very well done, and funny when you realize. Sick, but funny.

Her channel's now been closed.