complete frame size nightmare

haveitmyson
haveitmyson Posts: 38
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All

I'm sure i not the first to have this problem but i have decided to buy a Scott CR1 Pro. My current bike is a trek 1.7 that i purchased as a first bike. The trek is a bit too big (60cm frame) it was my first bike and it all felt odd first off so just went with the bike shop advice.

Anyway im 6,1 so tried a 56 large and a 58 x large. i took both for a ride and they both felt fine. The guy in the shop just got the seat to the right height and basically said "yeh you look alright on that and said the same on the other.

I know the importance off a good fit and having made a mistake with the trek (all be it none the wiser at the time) i am totally paranoid about getting it wrong again and feeling....this is too big or i should have gone bigger etc etc.

There s a bike shop in poole called Bike-lab that set measure you up and set you up and there scott dealers.

Do I gently let the bike shop Ive been to down and go have a "proper Fit"

stressed and confused, advice would be helpful

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Would you rather spend your money getting a bike that fits or one that' 'right' because the guy selling it to you says so? I don't know the Scott geometry but I'm 5'10 and a 58 would be too big for me so I'll guess it;s your size. I'd want it fitted properly not guessed at. I've wasted enough money doing that
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    This is the problem: "yeh you look alright on that and said the same on the other" and so obviously they don't have a clue what size you need(!).

Go elsewhere, get measured properly and get the right size in the model of bike you are interested in.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Hi All

I'm sure i not the first to have this problem but i have decided to buy a Scott CR1 Pro. My current bike is a trek 1.7 that i purchased as a first bike. The trek is a bit too big (60cm frame) it was my first bike and it all felt odd first off so just went with the bike shop advice.

Anyway im 6,1 so tried a 56 large and a 58 x large. i took both for a ride and they both felt fine. The guy in the shop just got the seat to the right height and basically said "yeh you look alright on that and said the same on the other.

I know the importance off a good fit and having made a mistake with the trek (all be it none the wiser at the time) i am totally paranoid about getting it wrong again and feeling....this is too big or i should have gone bigger etc etc.

There s a bike shop in poole called Bike-lab that set measure you up and set you up and there scott dealers.

Go to Poole. However, take some time to learn about bike fit for yourself. If you were a flexible pro you would ride a 56 and you could handle being really low at the front and you would compensate for the shorter top tube with a long stem. If you have long legs for your height that creates a different set of issues to having a long body and short legs. Compare the geometry of the two bikes eg a steeper seat angle will make the frame feel longer etc. Its good to understand bike fit because you never know if the man in the shop knows what he is talking about.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Hi All

I used to ride a 58cm Trek then bought the CR1 Pro in a 54cm and I'm 5ft 11. Hope that helps
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    You might fall between two frame sizes (I did when I bought my bike) so could ride either with the right length stem. However, the guy in the bike shop clearly doesn't know what he's doing with regard to bike fit so I'd go to Poole and get some decent advice.
  • update

Went to Bikelab in Poole and got fitted up by a guy called Neil. He seemed to know his stuff but most of all was clearly loving the advice and really enthusiastic about the right fit.

58 was the size for me with a perfect top tube on the chosen bike (CR1 PRO) A Few tweaks needed for a perfect fit. 44cm bars bike comes with 42 so we are swapping them out for FSA SLK compact carbons with the same stem either 110/120 and a ritchey titanium railed saddle

Neil charged £50 for a measure up "pre bike purchase" that comes of the value of a bike if i purchased one from him. This took about an hour. He will then spend an hour on the turbo tweaking the fit when you get the bike for free if purchased from him or £75 if you get it somewhere else.

In the event i got 10% off the bike and a good deal on the upgrade bits so all in all i am well chuffed.

A good fair deal and most of all the fit/advice i was looking for. I cant recommend them enough (at this stage)

will update

PS I called the other shop and got offered £50 off if i bought the bike from them and this was only because there was a few marks on the top tube!!!