Bike down On A40 WB Polish war memorial to Hillingdon

2»

Comments

• WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    chunkytfg wrote:
    WhenI got there the ambulance was heading back along the A40 the other way which I thoguth was a little odd as hillingdon hospital has an A+E dept and is only a couple of miles away in the right direction!

Due to the seriousness of the accident, he wouldn't be taken to a local A+E, instead he'd be taken to a major trauma centre where they're better equipped to deal with this kind of thing.
    HTH
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    chunkytfg wrote:
    WhenI got there the ambulance was heading back along the A40 the other way which I thoguth was a little odd as hillingdon hospital has an A+E dept and is only a couple of miles away in the right direction!

Due to the seriousness of the accident, he wouldn't be taken to a local A+E, instead he'd be taken to a major trauma centre where they're better equipped to deal with this kind of thing.
    HTH

At the time of the original post I didnt know how bad so it was just a general observation, once i'd seen the articles about his death it became clear why. But thanks anyway.

As to the rest of you do you really think this thread is a place to be arguing?

We all can appreciate that it was inappropriate to be on that stretch of road at that time of day on that mode of transport but still there is a time and a place for it's discussion and this isnt one of them! :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    chunkytfg wrote:

Or blaming the victim.
    Robstar24 wrote:
    speedy recovery to the rider in question.

the A40 is a seriously dangerous road for cyclists, it is a motorway in all but name beyong park royal. i once accidentally cycled along the westway...wont be doing that again in a hurry

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have made the Westway mistake, a serious case of brown trousers.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    chunkytfg wrote:
    At the time of the original post I didnt know how bad so it was just a general observation, once i'd seen the articles about his death it became clear why. But thanks anyway.

We all can appreciate that it was inappropriate to be on that stretch of road at that time of day on that mode of transport but still there is a time and a place for it's discussion and this isnt one of them! :roll:

Trying to learn a lesson from this unfortunate accident is surely better than just saying 'couldn't be helped'. Obviously sometimes cycling has fatal consequences, there's never really going to be a 'good' time to consider that, doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
  • Now in court. Charge: Death by Careless Driving

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -home.html
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Be interesting to see how this turns out, not well for his family I suspect. From a brief google it would appear that his defence is, "Couldn't see anyhting cos of the sun in my eyes guv."

Hoping that the court will take the view that if he couldn't see then he should have slowed down, based on the fact that the bike wheel went flying over the car behind and the rider was thrown clear off the road he was doing anything but.

Also the witness in the car behind said he made no attempt to do an emergency stop.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • I seem to recall a similar defence (sun in eyes) being used by the driver who drove into Rich158 a couple of years ago, when they turned right across a main road. And, IIRC, the Kent police felt it that case that it was sufficient defence for them not to take it any further. I am glad to see that in this case there are additional witnesses to the incident.

Having followed that link, it occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how the Mail readership react to the story.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,242
    Can't comment on the article though.
  • Presumably as it is an ongoing court case. There may be fewer restrictions once the case is over (and that will presumably be a new article).
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I seem to recall a similar defence (sun in eyes) being used by the driver who drove into Rich158 a couple of years ago, when they turned right across a main road. And, IIRC, the Kent police felt it that case that it was sufficient defence for them not to take it any further. I am glad to see that in this case there are additional witnesses to the incident.

I remember another case, I'm pretty sure it was fatal, where a van driver said the same thing and 'got off'.
    Having followed that link, it occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how the Mail readership react to the story.
    But the van driver fails the "People Like Us" test. Look at him, all fat and working class, he probably reads the Sun, how ghastly. Not like that good, decent RAF commander, worked for the Queen y'know.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    [...] But the van driver fails the "People Like Us" test. Look at him, all fat and working class, he probably reads the Sun, how ghastly. Not like that good, decent RAF commander, worked for the Queen y'know.
    yes, you are almost certainly right that this will override any thoughts by them that he was a cyclist, on a 3 lane A road, in the rush hour.
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Be interesting to see how this turns out, not well for his family I suspect. From a brief google it would appear that his defence is, "Couldn't see anyhting cos of the sun in my eyes guv."

Hoping that the court will take the view that if he couldn't see then he should have slowed down, based on the fact that the bike wheel went flying over the car behind and the rider was thrown clear off the road he was doing anything but.

If he was doing 50mph as suggested, that's a fair bit slower than the 70mph speed limit, and slower still than many drivers, who I'd expect to be doing 80-85mph here.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Cousin in law is currently attending as many days of the case as possible because the victim in question was a long time friend and colleague of his. I know when he heard the news he was devastated and stopped cycling himself for a few months before getting himself back together again and getting out on the bike once more. The results will be interesting
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Convicted of death by careless driving.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/95 ... nd_guilty/
    http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/west-l ... -30385100/

Will be banned from driving, but not till he's put his laundry delivery business: http://www.white-knight.co.uk/Franchisi ... Luker.aspx in order.