Rust Proof 1/8 Chain Recomendations

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I bought a sram chain for my brompton a while back there was some light rain. Anyway it's sitting in the shed for a bit and I went to ride it the other day and the chain has completly rusted to fu<k... Rather disappointed and I suspect given I've left it this long it might be beyond salvaging (I'll have a go anyway)

In the mean time does anyone have any recommendations for quality rust proof 1/8 chains

bling colours are acceptable if red/black :lol:

Been looking at KMC chains but the rustbuster is discontinued and I can't see much in the way of zinc coated ones

thanks
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Got this on my FG and has survived the winter pretty well.

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/kmc710.html
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Personally I really rate the connex wipperman z1 star anti-rust. The two I've had have been utterly flawless, both on and off-road
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Yep - SRAM chains rust quick

Have had no issues since I switched to KMC on both the SS and geared roadie(s)
  • Clever Pun
    nice one chaps, thanks
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    just ordered the wippermann and the kmc... and a hollow pin kmc of the same model but in hipster red
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I got a gold Izumi 1/8 chain. Very new so can't comment on the wear. Slightly bling
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Was it a SRAM pc-1 by any chance? That's what I have and it's terrible. It was already brown when it was new. Any hint of moisture and it gets covered in rust.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    KMC Z610 - fairly cheap, no signs of rust through the winter, and doesn't seem to stretch much.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Oil keeps rust at bay......just a thin layer. Both my SRAM chains are rust free after at least 6 months of abuse through winter.