So I got a single speed...

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited March 2011 in Road general
I've been after one for a while and they've been like gold dust. Eventually after a lot of searching I fell over an old Peugeot on Fleabay, a 1982 steel frame which from the pictures looked okay. I contacted the buyer and told him I was interested but wondered if he'd come to drop it off. He agreed, seemed like a nice fella and he came to my house. On first impressions it looked okay, bit scratched but overall okay. Stupidly, at the time, I agreed to the asking price (which still embarasses me) and I took it off him.

After he'd gone and I'd got around to it I started a thorough check on the bike. Brakes were Ultegra with god awful cheapo brake pads which looked like the ones you got on BMX bikes when I was a sprog. The would not stop anything, let alone a 12stone tosser like me. I removed them, put on some proper Shimano pads, then noticed the drop on the rear was way too short!. I then checked the bottom bracket which he claimed had been serviced, maybe it had but it was loose as buggery. The front wheel had loose spokes so I had to swap that and use one of my own spare front wheels.

I took the bike over to Geoff Smiths in Bolton and asked him to change the bottom bracket, which according to the guy I bought it from weren't being made that size any more - Geoff looked at it, said 'leave it with me until Thursday' and he claimed he could sort it with a new, sealed bracket.

I rang him this morning hopng he could change the old BB, yep, he'd done it! WOO! Brand new sealed bracket. I also picked up a new Shimano BR-R450 rear brake which fits the frame perfectly. Geoff had even fitted brand new chainset bolts into the BB and now it's running great! Next job is to get the wheels replaced - I've seen some at High on Bikes, £99.99 for brown rims with gold hubs, looks camp as hell and perfect for what I want. the wheels are okay, but I want shiney ones!

Anyhoo the moral? Don't be so hasty with your cash, and even if you are sometimes it's kinda fun anyway! I'll post a picture later, I only have a camera-phone so any images will be blurrrry!

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    okay hun, I have a TT, Addict, Speedster here + others. Which bit do you want me to strip first?

Fancy some bling?

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Hurhur, strip.

Anyhoo it's had its first proper run out, 25 mile belt around the outskirts of Bolton. Runs like the proverbial off a shovel, although I do have to avoid any 25% climbs, at least for now. It's quiet too, no gear jumping or crunching so it's perfect for belting about on!