Windy

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Was a little on the very windy side..... almost got blown off on Maryhill Road for the first time since I visited Framptons... :wink:

Anyone have any wind related accidents?

(Frampton's is a rather dubious nightclub/pub on Maryhill Road, also known as The Stabb Inn)
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Was a little on the very windy side..... almost got blown off on Maryhill Road for the first time since I visited Framptons... :wink:

Anyone have any wind related accidents?

(Frampton's is a rather dubious nightclub/pub on Maryhill Road, also known as The Stabb Inn)

I followed through once, but I don't see how that is your business :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to think my Mavic Aksiums (with 20 flat spokes) were bad in crosswind until riding in today on Weinmann DP18 rims (32 round spokes, but with a 40mm rim depth) and I now realise the Aksiums ain't that bad.
    I passed a HGV and when I came out of its lee I was almost blown across my lane into oncoming traffic.

I feel sorry for anyone riding in on flat bars today (even more than usual). Its so much better being able to get down and reduce my frontal area as much as possible.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'll be heading off in a Westerly direction in 30 minutes for my 17 miler, not looking forward to it as I have to do a run when I get home too :?
  • Not this time, but last time it was proper windy, I almost got forced into the sea when riding down towards Portobello prom. It was gusting up to 70 mph that night. The crazy thing was that along the prom (bitching crosswind), there was a father and roughly five year old son cycling along, with the father steering both bikes somehow. I could barely stay upright myself, I think I'd have got off and walked with one of the nippers.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Hats off to you all for riding in this weather.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    Hats off to you all for riding in this weather.
    :D

If I was wearing a hat it would definately be off!! Nice one Suzy....
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I deserve a tailwind after this morning....sods law says it will change though
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    30mph uphill on a heavy MTB with slightly dragging disc brakes.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    gbsahne wrote:
    I deserve a tailwind after this morning....sods law says it will change though

Seconded, this morning was a bitch although looking at the forecast it is due to drop in speed a bit.
  • Wallace1492
    Just seen horizontal sleet out the window.... :shock:

As long as it blows me up Maryhill Road......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Holey Moley - I'm looking out from the top of Yorkhill hospital and glad I decided not to try the Crow Road today! In fact I'm glad that I'm here rather than stupidly trying to commute across the Kessock Bridge.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Acc to the BBC weather map I have a 23mph tail wind blowing directly from here to my house. Bring it on. Verily...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    its calmed down a bit here...it was blowing a hooligan last night though....

also looks like more snow this weekend.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I set a PB in this morning despite lots of red traffic lights, twas properly wind assisted.

Gonna be a loooong slog home methinks
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'll be heading off in a Westerly direction in 30 minutes for my 17 miler, not looking forward to it as I have to do a run when I get home too :?

Well I'm home...took 10 minutes longer than normal!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Well I'm home...took 10 minutes longer than normal!

About 7 minutes longer here over 9.5 mostly uphill miles. Just a slog. Whatever you gain with the tailwind, you pay more for with the headwind. About 5 minutes slower for the round trip than normal today.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    and I was rewarded for the morning's slog; some cars seemed a bit surprised that I was overtaking them on the flat
  • gbsahne wrote:
    and I was rewarded for the morning's slog; some cars seemed a bit surprised that I was overtaking them on the flat

Wind had dropped quite a bit for me tonight. Not that I had the legs left to take advantage after this morning.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Absolutely rocketed my way to work. But then drove home because I didn't fancy the wind.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I used to think my Mavic Aksiums (with 20 flat spokes) were bad in crosswind until riding in today on Weinmann DP18 rims (32 round spokes, but with a 40mm rim depth) and I now realise the Aksiums ain't that bad.
    I passed a HGV and when I came out of its lee I was almost blown across my lane into oncoming traffic.

I feel sorry for anyone riding in on flat bars today (even more than usual). Its so much better being able to get down and reduce my frontal area as much as possible.

Wot he said - I have the same rims on the Pompino, and they make it noticeably more affected by the wind than any of my other bikes. I may have to swap them with my spare set of normal-profile wheels if this keeps up - a couple of times I came close to being blown over !
    Misguided Idealist
  • was a flying 8 mile ride into work :D but........

getting home was very hard work.. 12 ish minutes slower for me, but then I'm a 40 something fatboy noob commuter on a cheapy Specialized so everything was against me.

Loving it though...... who'd have thought...
    FCN 11
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    the wind blew my garden fence down last night, missed my car by about 3".

pretty scary having about 40ft of fence blowing around the street! but i suppose it saves me pulling the fence down
    Keeping it classy since '83