LEJOG single speed!

pompy
pompy Posts: 127
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
If I was stupid enough to attempt this...

What gear ratio would be a good compromise? Currently riding 48x18 and find that OK in the Chilterns. A bit lower would I'm sure be welcome on the Cornish hills but I don't want to reduce my flat cruising speed too much.

Also looking for a gps that is capable of storing my roues with lots of minor roads mapped. Leaning towards the etrex vista hcx unless you thing the edge series is sufficient?

Comments

• daviddd
    daviddd Posts: 637
    If you took the A9 route north of Hemsdale, be warned that Berriedale Braes are 12%! Heading up the A897 from Helmsdale is much easier, and quieter roads, if about 20-25 miles extra. The YHA at helmsdale is very popular with end-to-enders.
    Oct 2007 to Sep 2008 - anticlockwise lap of Australia... http://www.davidddinoz.blogspot.com/
    French Alps Tour 2006: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=r ... =1914&v=5R
    3 month tour of NZ 2015... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz2014
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Use a flip-flop hub with different gears. Your normal one and the lowest you can fit.
  • Don't do it!!! It is tough enough with a good range of gears.
  • flashman469
    flashman469 Posts: 102
    Hi Pompy,
    I did JOGLE in 2009 on fixed using 48 x 18 and it was fine. I was doing a fast one mind and stuck to the main roads. Obviously, the longer routes and hillier roads could be a grind. Also depends on other factors such as what weight you will be carrying. I carried all my gear as I rough camped but kept it all down to a minimum in a Carradice saddlebag and bar bag.
  • pompy
    Hi flashman,
    Thats good news! Hoping to do it in 10 days doing about 90 miles each day. And a couple of 100 milers where its flatter.
    Out of interest, which saddlebag did u use? Looking to do the same, b&bing as i go.
    Thankyou!
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    Did JOGLE last May and used a Carradice SuperC Rackpack. Just enough space for spare clothing, tools etc. The perfect bag for lightweight touring IMO. As you'd expect from this manufacturer, it was impervious to rain (provided you keep the inner liner closed up).

Mind you, I was not on single speed but Campag 11-speed.

All the details, including routing, at:

http://www.wilkinet.demon.co.uk/Cycling ... _2010.html

Some sections were hilly, so might be best circumvented including...

Helmsdale (as mentioned), Balgraigs Reservoir, Shap, Monmouth and, of course, all the way from Exeter to Lands End (just dig in).

- JimW
  • jimwin
    pompy wrote:
    If I was stupid enough to attempt this...

Also looking for a gps that is capable of storing my roues with lots of minor roads mapped. Leaning towards the etrex vista hcx unless you thing the edge series is sufficient?

I used my trusty Etrex HCx. The main reason is that it takes standard cells - both one-time use and rechargable. And if you do run out, they are easily replaced.

- JimW
  • pompy
    Enjoyed the blog Jim, the super C looks good, did you take footwear in it? I'm going to take flip flops but reckon that these plus clothes, tools and odd bits might be a bit too much for the 13litre super c. Looking at an 16 litre SQR Slim or Tour (once they're back in stock)

Anyone used these for such a trip?
  • flashman469
    flashman469 Posts: 102
    Hi Pompy,
    I used the Carradice Camper Long Flap which is about 24 litre capacity (I think). I used it in conjunction with an expedition bag man quick release support. Managed to squeeze bivvi bag and sleeping bag into it in addition to spare cycle clothing and bike spares etc.
  • jimwin
    pompy wrote:
    Enjoyed the blog Jim, the super C looks good, did you take footwear in it? I'm going to take flip flops but reckon that these plus clothes, tools and odd bits might be a bit too much for the 13litre super c. Looking at an 16 litre SQR Slim or Tour (once they're back in stock)

I took sports shoes for my LEJOG ride in 2008 and they took as much room as the rest of the kit put together. So on my JOGLE ride last year I used my cycling shoes all the time and it worked just fine (Shimano RT51 FWIW).

- JimW
  • pompy
    Have ordered myself an Etrex Vista hcx...

I have also got the Europe City Navigator on DVD, how do I get my planned routes onto the gps? Do I need garmin mapsource too? Is that something else I have to buy?!
  • pompy wrote:

Anyone used these for such a trip?

The SQR Tours/Slim (you don't really need the pockets) are fab. Used one once for a week's tour of Scottishland carrying tools, t-shirts, grundies, Rohan keks, flip-flops and a fleece, and had bags of (well, enough) room to cram in bottles of wine/ tins of scran for evening sustenance at the hostels. As the weight is near your body, you barely notice the thing (even stuffed to the gunwhales), unless you're out of the saddle giving it the beans. And even then you quickly get used to it. Alloy seatpost recommended though, I'd say.