Lack of sense of humour from a pedestrian.....

noodles71
noodles71 Posts: 153
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I got an earful today doing something I am sure a few of you have considered. As it was too windy to give it my usual blast in I decided to take it a bit easier. While I was approaching a pedestrian standing right up to the road edge he raised his hand to flag down a cab. To me it looked like he wanted to high five me so I obliged and high fived him back. I don't think he appreciated it judging by the "f**k off you c**t" and the raised middle finger from the back seat of the cab when it finally passed me.

So much for trying to improve pedestrian vs cyclist relations with a bit of a laugh.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Heh he, that made me laugh! Shame he had no SOH!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Heh, almost makes me want to try it out more...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'd LOVE to do that to someone.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Always wanted to do this to people flagging down a bus that is behind me.... However on Maryhill Road, they might grab your hand, yank you off the bike, and do some thing unspeakable....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Always wanted to do this to people flagging down a bus that is behind me....

When that happens I always feel like calling out 'sorry, I'm full'.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Always wanted to do this to people flagging down a bus that is behind me....

When that happens I always feel like calling out 'sorry, I'm full'.....

Unless they're cute, then I shout, "Room for one more on top!"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ha thats brilliant
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    noodles71 wrote:
    To me it looked like he wanted to high five me so I obliged and high fived him back.

You sir, are a genius :D
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You would have got the same response from any self-respecting ped.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Evidently in the land of the humourless, a high-five is classed as assault.

Not that I'd ever do it, it did occur to me that when you're in a bus lane and there's one coming along behind you, you can get a row of handbags dangling right in front of your left hand as you pass. It would be so easy...
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I managed to grab a cigarette off a ped on Tuesday.

I should add it wasn't intentional. An overtaking car not using their mirrors forced me near the curb and as I was busy taking wobbly evasive action a pedestrian lunged out into the road without looking. My hand hit his and for a moment his fag snagged in my hand before bouncing down the road. Obviously would have preferred to hung onto it, taken a drag (not a smoker) and waved back.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Did you shout "hi-five!" as you fived his hand?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629

In a borat voice too...

There is a youtube out there of an american doing that only one guy thinks he's trying to nick his travel pass and gives chase...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003

In a borat voice too...

There is a youtube out there of an american doing that only one guy thinks he's trying to nick his travel pass and gives chase...

yeah, this...
    kelsen wrote:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Was thinking of doing that myself a while back... also the other night saw a chap arm raised the perfect cycle-five but saw he had his smart phone in that hand the thought of me smashing it down the road while amusing wouldn't have been that clever
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    kelsen wrote:

In a borat voice too...

yeah, this...
    kelsen wrote:

Weird reading spazz on my half, naughty monkey. I blame lack of time on bike today.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    kelsen wrote:

Not me but that was a pretty good video to watch. New York is certainly the place to do it.

Maybe the people here who monitor this forum could spend a specific week where we all try and get the highest number of high fives for the week.
  • benp1
    benp1 Posts: 7
    that is hilarious, good work mate!

Every now and then depending on mood I'd stop the car in a bus stop when someone hailed a bus, just to see the look of confusion on there face.

I'm going to look out for this now, sounds brilliant. especially with a little borat 'hi fiiive!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Yuk! I hope he washed his hands when he got home :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.