bipedal Posts: 466
edited May 2014 in Pro race
Poor guy, a rubbish way to start the season:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7719/ ... uired.aspx

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    So young as well.
    I hope the operation's a success and he recovers well.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Damn, Strange as I was only wondering yesterday why we had not seen much of him.

Sounds like a horrible operation but to be back training in 6 weeks is not too bad. He is young so might not be too much of a problem.
    cartoon.jpg
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Tusher wrote:
    So young as well.
    I hope the operation's a success and he recovers well.
    I second that.

I hope the lifetime of those replacement joints has improved. They used to wear out so if you had one done before you were about 65 there was a good chance that you might eventually need a second replacement. They are using new technologies now so perhaps they are a one-time fix?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,130
    He's not having his hip replaced, rather they are resurfacing the head of the femur and the pelvic socket.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    andyp wrote:
    He's not having his hip replaced, rather they are resurfacing the head of the femur and the pelvic socket.

Isn't that what Landis had done?
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    I'm waiting to have something similar to this done. I was given a 6 month recovery period until I can even start walking!!!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    afx237vi wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Isn't that what Landis had done?
    Yes & yes....
    He's having a "Birmingham Hip Resurfacing"....
    *cough*
    This info is all in the linked-to article at the top of the thread
    *cough*
    :wink:
    :lol:
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    Oh dear.

Metal-on-metal hips are having a very bad time of it at the moment, with the latest data suggesting that 12-15% will fail within 5 years, often causing muscle damage making repair extremely difficult and sometimes impossble. One or two products have a 5 year failure rate way higher than this, one is said to be 49% at 6 years.

The British Hip Society have recently issued a warning about all MoM joints, including the Birmingham, saying they should be used with extreme caution and possibly avoided altogether.

For someone who's going to give it as much stick as a pro cyclist, this is very bad news indeed.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The British Hip Society

That sounds like a cool place to work!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He has retired again permanently. Article on Cyclingnews gives all the info and quotes.
    Contador is the Greatest