State of the roads-will councils do anything?

sturmey
sturmey Posts: 964
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12510817

Incredible to read in one related article that even though a pothole was the cause of a cyclist's death, it was STILL not considered worthy of repair.

Our roads are in a worse state than I can ever remember.

We as cyclists should demand action.

Anyone with knowledge of any planned protests?

Comments

• I don't actually know if anything will happen but I sent an email to Bolton council regarding a cycle lane that I commute along and the state of it's disrepair.

I got an email saying it had been received and a further email saying that it would be looked into.

I'm not expecting anything but at least my original email didn't end up as spam. (yet)
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I reported two dangerous potholes six weeks ago to two different councils. Nothing has been done to date.

The whole budget buts excuse will be trotted out, but even during the boom years councils invested sod-all in the roads which is why they're in such a mess now.

It does make me angry, I live in one of the highest council taxed areas of the UK, I'm paying around £3,028 p/a, essentially to have my bins emptied twice a month.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Reported a few deep potholes in my road, via Fill That Hole, a month or so ago I included photos and approximate measurements and they were filled within a week! I was amazed. :shock:
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Mattsaw wrote:
    It does make me angry, I live in one of the highest council taxed areas of the UK, I'm paying around £3,028 p/a, essentially to have my bins emptied twice a month.

....and pay for schools, police, healthcare, streetlights, libraries, parks, street cleaning etc.

I agree though, the roads are in an appalling state and need to be fixed. Unfortunately for the current administration they are having to deal with a woefully neglected infrastructure that needs a lot more work than a few shovel fulls of cold ashphalt chucking at it. This isn't going to happen anytime soon however many cyclists protest.

In the meantime we'll just have to look where we're going.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    ....and pay for schools, police, healthcare, streetlights, libraries, parks, street cleaning etc.

Paid for out of council tax?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • I reported a deep pothole. The Council said they are looking into it> :roll:

Seriously, my experience is that attention has been fairly prompt when reported properly e.g. through Fix My Street.

As for the "all the Council ever do for me is empty my bin brigade", what about educating your children, caring for the elderly and vulerable, dealing with antisocial behavior, providing libraries, community facilities, parks, rights of way and cycleways, regenerating decaying areas, restricting undesirable development, preventing motorists from parking where they like, encouraging enterprise etc. etc.

You may feel that you pay too much Council Tax, or that the level of services delivered by a Council need to be improved, but this is largely a polictical decision. If you don't like it vote for someone else, or stand yourself.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Sorry posts crossed.

What a typical Council spends your Council Tax on can be seen here

I think you'll agree it is more than just emptying your bin.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mattsaw wrote:

Paid for out of council tax?
    Paid for by your local councils yes, although most their revenue comes from central Gov't or businesses, your council tax is a part of it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    After a few weeks of cycling past a vast crater on my training loop I finally remembered to report it on Sunday. On Monday I had an email saying that it was not their responsibility as it's just over the county border, but they had forwarded it to Bucks. It, and the other nearby potholes were fixed by 8am on Wednesday. Can't really complain at that.