Drafting

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
...on your commute.

Is this okay?

If someone in full lycra is clearly training for their weekend rides and 'loving' the wind resistance why not tag along and enjoy the ride?

Comments

• It depends how good a rider you are. I personally don't have a problem with most people who try to keep up, they don't usually manage for long. If you're riding too close, or compromising people's ability to dodge and weave through the traffic then I wouldn't like it.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    for me it depends on who the other riders are, if its someone i know is a club rider/good rider then i'll say hello and offer to share the workload if its just a random person then not a chance. its too dangerous.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Massively irritates me if they don't return the favour.

Normally results in me attempting to 'attack' them.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I dont mind as long as they have a go out front
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    If they're on a scooter I consider them fair game for drafting. :D

Otherwise then it'll depend on the circumstances, if someones made a point of pushing in front at some lights then I don't have too many issues sitting on their back wheel whilst I plan my attack.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've had people tuck up a bit close, it gets hairy if I have to swerve for a ped or suddenly brake. I tend to draft people from a couple of length back, you don't get the full benefit but you have space to react.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I've had only one time when two of us shared the workload equally (over about 5 miles) but most of the time it's when I overtake a MTB'er and they then try to latch on, it's just selfish and they don't tend to stay there long against a road bike. Sometimes I wish there were more interesting bikes on my commute :(
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • clarkey cat
    what route do you take marcus?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I don't but as UE says, they can't usually keep up for long! In fact I quite enjoy the chase if they try, slowly cranking up the pressure! Caught a guy on an SS on OKR into New X last week. I past him but he drafted me and then !shock! he passed me! I gave chase but I was turning off. Next morning, bizarrely, the same guy was in more or less the same place, going into town. This time I left him for dead...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • clarkey cat
    I drafted an old man in a 3/4 length bin-man's high-viz last - he was on a girls mountain bike.
  • I drafted an old man in a 3/4 length bin-man's high-viz last - he was on a girls mountain bike.

Condor just rang, they want you to take your bike back.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    It doesn't bother me to be honest, as long as they're sensible and aren't a couple of inches off of my wheel.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • clarkey cat
    Condor just rang, they want you to take your bike back.

Ha ha! I wasnt on the Condor last night, I was riding my battered and beaten single speed and I was fooked after a few consecutive sleepless nights looking after baby clarkey. I just thought, I'll just tuck in behind this guy for a mile or so...ahhhh, thats better.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I'm not bothered by people drafting me. I just feel sorry for anyone who feels they have to. I'd just like them to stay alert and leave enough space to cope.

I get pissed off by the lack of anticipation of commuting cyclists and drivers. Regularly.

But drafting is better than boxing me in.

On the other hand, if I get close enough to draft and don't have a prospect of overtaking very soon, I'll either drop back or offset to the side to avoid being a wheelsucker.
    Riding on 531
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Can't draft, even if I'm knackered I feel the need to put the speed down and pass them even if it means turning off my usual route a mile or so later to save face before they pass me and see I'm done in!
    exercise.png
  • I don't mind being drafted. Your were on your own any way?

I do alot of track racing and its well known that having a rider draft you lenghtens the airflow behind you and the flow detaches off the second rider and makes it easier for you the lead rider.

Two riders together is better then being a lone rider in the airflow.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    personally on the commute, I don't see the point.

It works in races because there are not as many potential sudden braking situations (pedestrian unexpectedly crossing, car door opening etc), and when there are, the communication for such is well understood by the lead and rear riders....

at 15 mph (22 feet per second)...if you are 3 feet behind another rider, and they hit the brakes, you have less than a sixth of a second to also hit the brakes or you will hit them.

even that is the best case scenario....if your brakes aren't as good as theirs, or they brake harder (or have better traction from their rubber etc...), you will hit them.

I don't know if drafting is even all that effective at 1 metre.

So for me...its not particularly safe. I wouldn't sit right up someones exhaust pipe while driving....either...for the same reasons.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm not a fan of it, having nearly been taken out on a couple of occasions by the draftor - too many people on the commute think "it's ok, cos that's how they see bikes being ridden on the telly". Well, unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of closed roads and not everyone has bikes with brakes maintained to the standard of those on the telly.

I've mellowed a bit, and don't mind it with the guys on here I know and have ridden with, but there are some right choppers on the commute who draft waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close (or even overlap wheels), particularly in the wet, and even some who ride on your wheel in the dark even though they have no rear lights, or p!ss poor lights - you readin' this Giant Man?

And then there are those who always take a tow and never say thanks, which is just bad manners.

Yours,

Gruff the Grump
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Not a fan of drafters and try not to get too close to bikes in front. Will usually sit a few feet back and plan the attack.

I try and minimise the opportunities for drafters to jump on my wheel so they are putting the same effort in as me.
    There are a few serial drafters out there - chap on cannondale with orange bobble cap springs to mind. He'll jump on your wheel and happily just sit there.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JZed wrote:
    There are a few serial drafters out there - chap on cannondale with orange bobble cap springs to mind. He'll jump on your wheel and happily just sit there.

He's done it to me twice this week, once when he hasn't had a front light (btw, he's on a Ti frame atm and is presently wearing a helmet). Should have seen how close he was down the NKR. He will do a full-on sprint for the rear wheel. Bless him.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    I'm not a fan of it, having nearly been taken out on a couple of occasions by the draftor - too many people on the commute think "it's ok, cos that's how they see bikes being ridden on the telly". Well, unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of closed roads and not everyone has bikes with brakes maintained to the standard of those on the telly.

I've mellowed a bit, and don't mind it with the guys on here I know and have ridden with, but there are some right choppers on the commute who draft waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close (or even overlap wheels), particularly in the wet, and even some who ride on your wheel in the dark even though they have no rear lights, or p!ss poor lights - you readin' this Giant Man?

And then there are those who always take a tow and never say thanks, which is just bad manners.

Yours,

Gruff the Grump
    +1 on all this. Quite a few who overlap wheels. Fecking eedjits.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • clarkey cat
    how close is too close?

if I draft Im at least a bike length away and a bit to the side too so I can see what the lead can see. In terms of offering up a tow after receiving a draft, it all depends on the lead's FCN. Same or below, definitely.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    If someone attacks me and catches me napping and goes past then I will sit on their wheel maybe 2 feet back, ready to do a counter attack. If the person I'm drafting doesn't like it, tough, they should have gone past more descisively

If I catch other people on the commute generally I don't draft them as there are too many lunatics out there. I want to stay far far away from idiots on bikes. This is really the big problem with drafting on the commute, or during an event when you are following strangers
  • jzed
    edited March 2011
    cjcp wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    (btw, he's on a Ti frame atm and is presently wearing a helmet). Should have seen how close he was down the NKR. He will do a full-on sprint for the rear wheel. Bless him.

Still got the oversized black-rim glasses. He travels way too close (usually in my slipstream when I'm on the MTB) and always worried that if I need to stop I am going to have a train plant into the back of me. Can understand drafting on a club run in the sticks when you know the riders and can anticipate what might happen, but on the commute its just too risky. EDIT: Bobble hat man tends to move out of the draft when you stop at red lights

A couple of weeks back I had a chap draft me down LRR, an inch off my back wheel and I couldn't drop him as was on the MTB so I aimed for every crater I could find - not surprisingly he wasn't there too long - probably nursing a broken rim.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited March 2011
    I try not to draft.
    Mainly because it feels like cheating a bit. Also having done no club rides or even socials then I've no idea what the etiquette is, whether I'd be too close, whether I should expect people to be signaling or if I should be etc.

Actually, it's mostly because I don't trust cars, other cyclists or (as a new cyclist) even myself not to do something stupid and have to get out of a situation quickly, and if I'm half a foot from someone I don't fancy the odds so much.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    how close is too close?

if I draft Im at least a bike length away and a bit to the side too so I can see what the lead can see. In terms of offering up a tow after receiving a draft, it all depends on the lead's FCN. Same or below, definitely.

I don't class a bike length as drafting - some of the muppets mentioned above are an -6 to 6 inches off your back wheel (the -6 being overlapping your back wheel - making navigating potholes scary business)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It isn't always intentional though, (although I appreciate it often is) I accidentally drafted a guy a while back purely because I couldn't get past and wasn't overly paying attention.

Still, when he locked his rear wheel i still stopped before he did...
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I don't particularly mind being drafted, it's an admission of defeat so no problem.

I don't generally draft but on the couple of occasions when I have for a long period I have thanked the guy in front when I pulled off. A quick "thanks for the tow" doesn't hurt, they know that you appreciate their effort/ability and all is good with the world.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    I won't do it on the commute as there are just too many potential pit-falls to coming a cropper. Most commuters won't indicate a pot hole on either side or whether they're slowing, etc.

I'm not often drafted either because i don't displace much air (about as wide as i am deep). :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I don't particularly mind being drafted, it's an admission of defeat so no problem.

I don't generally draft but on the couple of occasions when I have for a long period I have thanked the guy in front when I pulled off. A quick "thanks for the tow" doesn't hurt, they know that you appreciate their effort/ability and all is good with the world.

I once said something similar to someone and they looked so confused...

Guess they weren't familar with basic cycling physics.