Knocked Down In Tooting Today

Clarion
Clarion Posts: 223
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Not me, fortunately, someone else, but I'd like them to get in touch if they are around on the forum.

This morning, I was involved in an incident with a psycho bus driver on Upper Tooting Road. The details don't matter exactly here, but, when this nutter was leaping out of his bus to come and beat me up, he collided with a cyclist riding up the blue lane and sent him flying onto the pavement.

The cyclist complained of a hurt neck, but, by the time I had got an ambulance sorted out, he had decided, against advice, to ride on to work. The rider had what I think was an Antipodean accent.

If you are that cyclist, I can help you, because I know the name of the driver and the details of the bus. If you think you know the cyclist concerned, please pass the message on.

I think the bike was a Trek.

I hope the cyclist is OK, and that his bike is undamaged, but he took a real knock.
Riding on 531

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Clarion wrote:
    This morning, I was involved in an incident with a psycho bus driver on Upper Tooting Road. The details don't matter exactly here, but, when this nutter was leaping out of his bus to come and beat me up, he collided with a cyclist riding up the blue lane and sent him flying onto the pavement.
    lol

It's just a pity the cyclist was hurt because that is really quite funny.
  • Clarion
    Yeah. It didn't seem funny at the time, but you couldn't have set it up better if you tried. Total slapstick. Shame the poor sod was injured. At least it took the wind out of the psycho's sails, and he didn't get round to punching me. Till a bit later, that is... :roll:
    Riding on 531
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The driver punched you? :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clarion
    Yup. Fortunately, the Police got involved, and I hope there's plenty of CCTV to check.

And a PCSO told me that all cyclists ride through red lights :roll:

I complained about him to the Police, and they are quite interested in that and his other attitudes.
    Riding on 531
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    True story.

My idiot half brother is the only person in British legal history to be (whilst) a PCSO sucessfully prosecuted for impersonating a police officer.

I am led to believe that the admission criterium is soley an "I am a fucktard" patch.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    SimonAH wrote:

My idiot half brother is the only person in British legal history to be (whilst) a PCSO sucessfully prosecuted for impersonating a police officer.

I am led to believe that the admission criterium is soley an "I am a fucktard" patch.

That's pretty special right there.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    The original incident is extraordinary enough, but the PCSO impersonating a police officer is absolutely brilliant.
    I'm sorry the guy took a knock, but I like this thread. Hope it all has a happy ending and the driver gets what he deserves.
  • Clarion
    Yeah, it was surreal enough without that going on.

Still hoping to track down the injured rider...
    Riding on 531
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hope you, the other cyclist and all bikes involved are OK.

A little insider info: All London buses have CCTV, but a £2.89 (+P&P) helmet cam is better than what is fitted to the many buses in that the helmet cams are proper video (~20 frames per second +) whereas buses are around 6fps (a series of stills). Its also worth knowing that footage is held for 10 days max!

If you need the buses footage, get your insurers, solicitors or the police to request it ASAP. The footage won't be released to a member of the public (even if they were involved), so the request has to come through your insurers, solicitors or the police.

With regard to finding the other cyclist: Have you tried the other fora? LFGSS, YACF the CTC forum (I guess they have one).

I say again, get the buses CCTV footage as soon as you can.

PM coming the OP's way
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Helmet cam as I have said so many times.........................
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Yeah, so many times. So very many times. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clarion
    I think this is the tipping point. Helmet cam on the shopping list. 'Cept I don't wear a helmet :lol:

I have reported the driver to the Police for careless driving and assault, so, if they can be arsed, they will get the footage.

No point in getting solicitors involved. No damage to the bike, and minimal injury to me. I do worry about anyone else getting in his way, though...
    Riding on 531
  • Clarion
    Oh yeah - other fora. I'm a member of yacf, cycle chat & lfgss, and have posted on all of those. I haven't posted on CTC forum, even though I am a member. I'll think about that, thanks.
    Riding on 531
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Clarion wrote:
    I think this is the tipping point. Helmet cam on the shopping list. 'Cept I don't wear a helmet :lol:

I have reported the driver to the Police for careless driving and assault, so, if they can be arsed, they will get the footage.

No point in getting solicitors involved. No damage to the bike, and minimal injury to me. I do worry about anyone else getting in his way, though...

If you haven't done it you should report to Met Police Roadsafe which is part of the Met Traffic Division. They don't normally bring prosecutions but will likely give you advice. At the very least they'll contact management at the bus depot.

https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

Also, if you contact TfL they will instruct the bus company not to delete bus footage.

https://custserv.tfl.gov.uk/icss_csip/Z ... b=CA_12351

And of course it's always good that this sort of thing is recorded in official channels so bus drivers know they can't get away with random acts of dickishness.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    If you need the buses footage, get your insurers, solicitors or the police to request it ASAP. The footage won't be released to a member of the public (even if they were involved), so the request has to come through your insurers, solicitors or the police.

Not sure that bit is strictly true. You should be able to request a copy under the Data Protection Act if you are in the CCTV (audio or video). However they only have to issue the bits with you in it and may edit footage to remove the personal data of someone else (e.g. the driver other passengers etc).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yeah, so many times. So very many times. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

+1

Are you on a commission?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • markhr
    markhr Posts: 265
    Clarion wrote:
    I think this is the tipping point. Helmet cam on the shopping list. 'Cept I don't wear a helmet

I see goggle cam in your future (better than a ging....I mean orange chest cam)
    shameless powercranks plug

Don\'t run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!