lady bike for long legs

Canalside commuter
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm a novice London commuter looking to buy a light hybrd bike like the Specialized Vita. However, although the website says it comes in extra Large, I can't find anywhere that actually stocks that size!

I have been recommended to buy a large Specialized Sirrus instead, much the same but something in me really rebels against having to buy a MAN's bike! (silly i know)..

Would be very grateful of any suggestions!

Comments

• Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    Hop into your local bike shop and ask if you can test a Sirrus. You should at least get a feel for whether it is completely out of the question or ride-able. Ditto for the Vita.

My mountain bike could be sized a little better, to be honest. I get the feeling that as long as you're 1 size off (or so) and not at the completely wrong end of the spectrum, you shouldn't get many problems with being on a slightly incorrectly sized bike. Especially if you're using it just for commuting.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • Where in London are you?

A couple of ideas. Evans may be able to get it in for you, at least for a trial ride. Pop into an Evans and ask - all they do is swipe a credit card and hold a refundable deposit of £50.

Also, if you are in the West of London, you could pop to either of the two Specialized concept stores, one in Ruislip, and one in Kingston, and ask them to get it in (they'll probably limit you to test riding it on rollers, but at least that'll give you an idea of size). I would hope that they would be able to source any available size of Specialized item.
  • PS - does it really matter whether it is a "men's" or "women's" bike as long as it fits? you can always personalise or customise it with various touches. Check for a comfortable saddle (my wife likes the Specialized women's sonoma) - much of the rest can be adjusted at little or no cost.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    lady bike for long legs
    Where in London are you?

yeah right . . . . .

we would reallllllllly need to understand more about your legs.....

A quick description please.

I am Brad Pitt
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?