Bike on a plane

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

You have probably seen this topic recently but I am still not sure how I can get my mountain bike on a plane. Is it essential to have one of these bags that cost £60 or can I just put some protectors on my frame and fork and travel this way?

Thanks

Comments

• Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    The cheapest way would be a cardboard bike box from your LBS. Cost = a packet of biccies ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • The cheapest way would be a cardboard bike box from your LBS. Cost = a packet of biccies ;)

Thanks!
  • yeh bike box is the best budget way but its esential you pack the bike well so plenty bubble wrap etc, i found wrapint my armour around the bike and leg armour round the forks helped but it still didnt stop my bike getting thrown about by the handlers and my hub poping through the box, no damage dun but could have been nasty.........
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I reckon a solid cardboard box is probably tougher than most bike bags tbh.

I reckommend those PakR packing bubbles- they're like massive bubble wrap but far tougher. Very effective, and fill up spaces really well. Also they weigh nothing, which can be a consideration. You can buy them but I've just been saving them up from items that I've bought, almost got enough to totally pack out my bag.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks guys!
  • sunnrider
    sunnrider Posts: 25
    "Aint no muthaf*ckin bikes on this muthaf*ckin plane".......Samuel L Jackson
  • Also recommend getting plenty of the pipe lagging / insulation (4.99 for 3x 1m lengths) to put round the forks, stays and bars. I took my (road) bike to USA and cut the lengths as needed, removed the pedals, and loosened the h/bars so they were in-line and then put the whole lot in an old blanket before putting in the cardboard Bike Box that I got from a local bike shop - No Damage either way!!

PS don't forget to deflate the tyres....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    PS don't forget to deflate the tyres....

No, leave them inflated unless the airline insist you deflate them
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sorry for the mis-info on tyre deflation (and thank you Northwind for the correction) my intentions were honourable...

I read CTC guidance - link attached that confirms that there is no reason to deflate Bike tyres unless the Airline Policy insists.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5184

Cheers