Racing fuel

Max09
Max09 Posts: 27
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
My first road race is on saturday (spring chicken) and I was wondering whether I should bring food with me in the race or if gels are fine or maybe neither? Its 73km long.

Thanks for any feedback :)

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Sports drink/ gel will be good but I would say real food would be to tricky to eat, especially in your first bunch race. It will be about 2 hours long so think of other rides this long. I found the hardest part was remembering to eat through out the race.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    don't try anything you haven't tried before so if you have never had a gel before do not have your first one in a race incase your body doesn't agree with it, 73k is not very long just make sure you have enough breakfast and maybe a energy bar before the race, and if you have to ride home take food or money with you so you can get some good stuff in you soon after you finish. Good luck hope you enjoy it
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I personally would only have a energy drink, but having a couple of gels as a backup would be a good idea. As Joey says actually eating anything might not be possible depending on how hard you are working.