Mobile bike mechanic

marcaudsley
marcaudsley Posts: 187
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi all
Just wondering what the general consensus is on a mobile bike mechanic?
Would anyone use one if prices were reasonable and competetive with the LBS. Taking into account that the mechanic would have to be trained to a very competent level with a recognised qualification.
Has anyone used one before and what was the service like?
Also would Calderdale be a good catchment area for one?
Thanks everyone

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only if I was in a rush and didn't have specific tools. But would you have specific tools such as frame facers, seat tube and headset reamers etc? Are incredibly expensive.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I've done the mobile mechanic thing, on a shoestring budget

Yes if your pricing is right you should get business, how much business is another matter, depending on several variables

Training, tooling, and advertising can be very expensive

You may find it hard to source parts as most distributors will only deal with cycle shops, not mobile mechanics

http://www.cyclefix.net/ may be able to help
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • LoveVelo
    LoveVelo Posts: 9
    You will find that there's no single reason why people use a mobile mechanic. For some customers it's the convenience that appeals, for some it's the personal service, and plenty of people are dissatisfied with the service they've received at their LBS. Cost, in my experience, tends not to be the driver - as long as you're competitive with the going rates for your area there's no need to come in super keen.

Get yourself a recognised qualification like Cytech level two, but be warned that you really need to get some practical experience in a bike workshop too - if you think that you can saunter away from ATG training with your certificate all ready to go, then think again.

Tools are a major investment, but if you want to do builds (not out on the road, obviously!) rather than just fix punctures and replace brake pads all day long, then BB facers etc are essential. They will pay for themselves in the long term though, and mean you can take on more interesting work. Make sure you've got a static premises of some sort to work from too - you'll be glad of it in the winter, and you soon realise that on the whole people tend not to need their bikes fixing on the spot, so you can usually collect and return, no problem.

Not really true any more to say that distributors won't deal with "the likes of us". The mobile mechanic is something that wholesalers are much more tuned in to than they were, and provided you can get yourself in front of a rep and present a well thought out business plan there are very few accounts you can't get signed up to. What they want to know is that you're not just going to flog a load of stuff on ebay or cheap to your mates.

The final attribute you'll need is patience, because business can be slow to build up. Get every free listing you can, get a decent website, and do a good job so people recommend you! In some ways, building up slowly is a good thing anyway, as it's very difficult to judge how much work you can take on with a mobile workshop - certainly it's different to working in a nice cosy LBS.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    also factor in the cost of fuel.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    My wife suggested this to me as I've been looking for a new direction. Decided against it, but you could do most things from a van. If you used a high sided van like a Merc Sprinter, you could kit it out as a workshop, with a bench and tool racks and still have plenty of space to work on a bike or two. Most services and repairs could be done outside the customer's house or workplace. People would love that, as getting the bike to a bikeshop can be a lot of hassle, particularly if you have to fit the roof bars etc. I'm sure there is a market for this. But it will be a slow startup and need a lot of advertising.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I quite like the Idea...

Maybe a 1 off yearly payment aswell which covers callouts, or anything outside a pre determined list of fixes gives them a lift to the home or the LBS. ( whichever closest )

8)

If something like that was about, i'd definatly consider subscribing.. As then no matter what you have peace of mind.. :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I can't believe nobody posted this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01xasUtlvw
  • ^^ :D lol
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners