Returning to MTB

Dannythornton123
Dannythornton123 Posts: 22
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
basically I'm returning to mountain biking after about 5 or 6 years I used to have a Kona stuff and really did like the bike but after around 10 months the thread completely worn away on the bottom bracket and I was told it was beyond repair to cut a long story short I'm looking into buying a new bike and have been looking at the cube acid which is at the top of my price range (720) I was just wondering if anyone else could recommend and good rides for the same price or lower

Comments

• mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    dont know much about bikes tbh but the new boardmans in halfords look mint and in your price bracket for the ht's
  • Cheers mate I'll take a look
  • Might be worth getting a second opinion on the thread on your Kona just to be sure, in many instances threads can be recut by fitting it with a sleeve then cutting a new thread after damage.
  • philcube
    philcube Posts: 45
    sounds very familiar, i too have recently (last year) returned to mountain biking after a 10yr 'lay off'. the bike i bought was a 2010 cube acid which i liked, but unfortunately some scummy f@?kers nicked it after about 5 months!
    luckily my very understanding insurance company paid £500 straight into my bank account (still £200 down though) and after scraping together another 200 i bought a 2010 specialized rockhopper for £699 and havent looked back! i love the way it rides (feels light, responsive and quick) and i would definatley recommend one against the cube acid. i understand the 2011 rockhopper has the same frame as my 2010, and is getting good reviews (there is a 2011 rockhopper review on bikeradar).
    if you live near specialized/cube dealers, i'd say test ride before you commit 700 of your hard earned quids, cos at the end of the day you should buy the bike that feels best for you.
  • I've been looking at the specialzed hopper and also the giant Yukon fx2 after testing the cube decided it wasnt for me and I wanted to be sure it was right spending that much and glad to hear you got another bike sorted I'll have to make sure I get mine insured!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Yukon's a bad choice... Heavy and not very good parts, at this budget you'll almost certainly want a hardtail.

Take a good look at Halfords, they have most of the better options at this price. Last year almost every bike test at this price got taken by one of their bikes, it just seemed to depend on which ones were in the test :lol: The £550 Fury took an award in a £750 bikes test, that's not too shabby. The Voodoos are on clearance just now so the Bokor and Wanga are silly money and the GTs and Boardmans aren't bad at all either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Decided to get a second opinion on the thread as beelzebomb said took it to halfords and it can be fixed for around 80-100 which is going to save me a lot