Numb toes

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Yesterday on a ride my toes on both feet started to feel numb as if they've got to sleep. I've had this before on a couple occasions and am now starting to wonder if my saddle is causing this.

Are numb toes caused by lack of circulation or pinched nerves because of a an not ideal fitting saddle? I'm still using the stock Scott saddle that came with my bike. It's not the most forgiving saddle I've seen. Should I look at trying different saddles or is it a set up problem?

My saddle height is fine and feels otherwise comfortable.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    normally it is your shoes that are too tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Sorry no solution but I have the same problem.

Although it has only started after riding flat pedals. I have had spd's for years and been very happy with them with no numbness at all. Now riding flats to get used to them again (realised i was relying too much on spds) i get numb toes after a few hours. Nothing else has changed on the bike so im finding it a bit strange.

I do occasionally get the same thing in my little fingers on long rides, indicating the ulna (i think its called?) nerve being pinched, this was solved with some Specialized BG gloves with a gel pad on the palm, so my guess is its the same issue in the foot.
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    It could be pressure on the ball of the foot or pressure from the sides. I have the same problem, more so when skiing. Custom footbeds help.
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Your shoes are too right, or it's cold out and you're riding with not enough layers.

I get this if i've got very thick socks on and am riding with my normal shoes done up a bit too tight.
  • I suffered this problem a while back - loosen off the straps on your shoes and wear thinner socks to provide a bit more room in the shoes. If using a thinner sock during winter, you may want to use Marino wool (Smartwool or similar).
  • hard-rider
    Ah, so not saddle related then which is a relief as I don't want to be doing nerve damage around the crotch area :shock: :lol: . I'll try slacken the shoes off a bit and see if that helps. I ride with 5-10s and I thought I had them fairly loosely laced (compared to my other normal shoes) but maybe I'm tying them too tight near the top.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    If your wearing thermal socks and overshoes, probably bad circulation.

I have the same problem, tried everything wearing 2 pairs of sock, even hiking socks. Everytime I get home my feet and toes are red from beign cold.

The screw in my left foot probably doesn't help! :?
  • hard-rider
    Mine is definitely from having cold feet as I got this in warmer weather too.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

i have the same issue...hereditary from mother! :roll:
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Loosen your shoes off and give your toes a wiggle every few minutes...helps get the blood circulating and stopping the numb toes. You might be wearing socks that are too thick for your shoes...or socks that are too thin and not giving your feet enough protection from the cold...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I get this all the time on my bike and it is compounded when cold. I can loosen off the straps completly and I still get numb toes. Too many and or thick socks can make it worse and then not enough and my feet are cold! I've found thermal and waterproof shoes have helped a great deal as I don't need as many pairs of socks on.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Overshoes are another option. That way your not trying to fit bigger socks into your shoes.
  • hard-rider
    I have plenty of room in my 5-10s and don't wear overly thick socks. Also my feet don't feel cold when the numbing occurs so I'm not sure it's sock or cold related. The thing is that the numbing doesn't occur on every ride so difficult to see what's causing it - I thought it may be the pressure of the on the ball of my foot from pedalling. I didn't tie my laces quite as tight on a 38Km ride yesterday and had no numbing problem. I'll see how it goes for the next couple of rides.
  • boom bang
    boom bang Posts: 14
    :roll: It is annoying I MOVED my seat and angle then moved my cleats. Then put it all back but after a really hard windy ride 2 days ago it came back again. I think it may be my shoes. I wear 2 pairs of socks cause my feet get cold so any ideas ?????????????/
    xLisax