Insuring a bike on a train

rowing_sculling
rowing_sculling Posts: 41
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
OK, so the insurance question has been asked many times, but I can't seem find an answer to this question.

I've just got a new bike and, as with the old one, put it in the cycle area on the train, it can only be accessed from outside the train and anyone can access it when the train is in a station. You are not allowed to secure your bike to the racks provided, so the best you can do is to put a lock through the wheels and frame.

Every insurance policy I have looked at only covers the bike if it is locked to an immovable object whilst away from home or being supervised by yourself or an appointed person, so the bike is uninsured when it is on the train.

Does anyone know of a policy that would cover this, or do I just have to risk it?

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    scary thing with those bicycle-only carriages is that you can't get to them from the main train. I had a situation where I was the last in a queue putting the bike in, the whistle goes and I have to decide whether to get off and chance a run to the passengar car or stay put. I did the run, but had vision of the train leaving without me and the bike ending up at the other end of the country without me.

You can also put your chain through someone else's chain in the rack. That way a thief would struggle to carry two bikes out of the door, but you aren't preventing that owner from leaving.