Trying to identify a Nippy Commute/Audax/Light Tour

Capuchin
Capuchin Posts: 6
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I currently commute on my first serious bike, a specialized singlecross, which i have been enjoying. But want to start doing some longer rides, and been looking for a bike with some gears!

Mainly want to do longer organised rides, probably 200km, is that audax? Furthest i would want to go would be light touring (maybe a week max). Really want a bike that is comfortable, but still capable of laying down some speed when possible to eat up miles.

Gave this brief to the LBS, and they suggested a ridgeback voyage. I'm concerned about the weight of it and not meeting my 'nippy' criteria.

Bikes that have caught my eye:
Verenti Kilmeston/Millook
Charge Juicer Hi (Evans currently have 2010 model at 35% off)

Budget is ~£800

The ultimate aim would be to complement this bike with a fast summer racer, maybe next year.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very very welcome!

Ben

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Tifosi CK7
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Did a 200km audax on my Spesh Allez, was more than comfortable for that, its pretty nippy too.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

Why not consider the Ribble Audax. Many serious road guys on here use it for their winter training bike. It has a good reputation and can be kitted out for light touring but is also quite nippy.

Basic price is around the £600 mark but for your budget you could specify 10 speed Shimano 105 gearing.

Link below to the Ribble site where you can look at costing out various options.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Cannondale Synapse with Tiagra for £649?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Syna ... _29052.htm

It has a slightly more upright position than a racer so is better for long rides.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Depends on what you mean by 'light touring'.

Just a saddle bag or a rack and panniers? Dependig on the weight you want to carry you may want / need fatter tyres, which affects whether you have clearance for dual pivot brakes. Also you need to consider what braze ons you need.

Someone turned up on a club run with a Ridgeback Century which looked nice enough and might suit your needs?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-38890

Genesis Equilibrium? It is a bit above your budget though and doesn't have rack mounts so would be limited for touring.

Dawes does some audax biikes - the Clubman and the Century, the Century being the more expensive but only a little over budget if ordered from Spa Cycles.

I think you can fit racks to Giant Defys.

If you are only likely to do 'credit card touring' then something like an SQR mount and a Carradice Camper would fit onto an race bike, combined iwth crudracer guards if necessary.

Also you will want to be able to fit mudguards if you are doing long rides as it is no fun sat for hours when soaking wet.
  • Capuchin
    Definately don't want a flat bar.

The ribble looks really good actually. I think i was shying away from it because i would get lost in selecting components, but it might actually be the way to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Are there reasons why the charge or verentis are not a good way to go?

Many thanks for all replies, it's slowly getting clearer! :)
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Capuchin wrote:
    definitely don't want a flat bar.

The ribble looks really good actually. I think i was shying away from it because i would get lost in selecting components, but it might actually be the way to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Are there reasons why the charge or verentis are not a good way to go?

Do they have rack eyelets? I wasn't sure. As I said, it depends on how much and what type of touring you think you are llikely to do.
  • Capuchin
    Depends on what you mean by 'light touring'.

Just a saddle bag or a rack and panniers? Dependig on the weight you want to carry you may want / need fatter tyres, which affects whether you have clearance for dual pivot brakes. Also you need to consider what braze ons you need.

Someone turned up on a club run with a Ridgeback Century which looked nice enough and might suit your needs?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-38890

Genesis Equilibrium? It is a bit above your budget though and doesn't have rack mounts so would be limited for touring.

Dawes does some audax biikes - the Clubman and the Century, the Century being the more expensive but only a little over budget if ordered from Spa Cycles.

I think you can fit racks to Giant Defys.

If you are only likely to do 'credit card touring' then something like an SQR mount and a Carradice Camper would fit onto an race bike, combined iwth crudracer guards if necessary.

Also you will want to be able to fit mudguards if you are doing long rides as it is no fun sat for hours when soaking wet.

Probably just credit card touring. I don't know how comfortable a saddle bag would be - it looks unstable but i've never tried it. A saddle bag would probably be enough for me.

I see from replies that there is plenty of choice, i just need to do some test riding and find the right one for me. Do you think giant defys are suitable? My LBS stocks Giant and Ridgeback and i would love to support them if possible. The ridgeback century looks good, but looks like their lineup has changed for 2011 - would have to find it clearance.

Thanks so much for all the replies so far. I really want to make the right choice to get a dependable and versatile bike and your views are a great help.
  • reformer
    reformer Posts: 38
    I have a Kilmeston. it is quick, well specced and very comfortable.It soaks up the miles. I changed the tyres for some 25mm ones with puncture resistance as those suppled with the bike were a bit fragile for me. The frames seem to be on the large side so you'd need to be careful with sizing.