bike theft

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Locked my son's bike up with a poundland lock, and lost the key.

Just went out to remove it, went with my poundland hacksaw & 1200 lumen light. Spent about 5 minutes sawing, heard someone talking nearby, but nobody challenged me. Took the bike home in my bike's pannier

Not the best tool for the job, I could have done it with a pair of cable cutters in 5 seconds, but equally I could have brought an angle grinder and gone through a 100 quid lock...

Turns out bike theft is easy!

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    thelawnet wrote:

Who'd 'ave thought it!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    to be honest I imagine most bike theives don't turn up on another bike.

I assume you have either a small son or large panniers :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It's astonishing what you can get away with if you do it in full view - and even more so if you're wearing industrial HiViz.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited March 2011
    SimonAH wrote:
    It's astonishing what you can get away with if you do it in full view - and even more so if you're wearing industrial HiViz.

i remember watching a tv show an they were saying theives wearing Hi Viz jackets go onto building sites and just drive machinery away, because they are wearing hi viz no one thinks to question them

shocking really
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    when my previous bike was stolen while my father was using it is was taken from outside sainsburys in exeter.

The bike stands there are based right by the exit of the store and next to the cash machines, so there would have been plenty of witnesses. however the bike has never been found.

A theft in plain sight is hardly seen. :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    thelawnet wrote:
    Locked my son's bike up with a poundland lock, and lost the key.

Just went out to remove it, went with my poundland hacksaw & 1200 lumen light. Spent about 5 minutes sawing, heard someone talking nearby, but nobody challenged me. Took the bike home in my bike's pannier

Not the best tool for the job, I could have done it with a pair of cable cutters in 5 seconds, but equally I could have brought an angle grinder and gone through a 100 quid lock...

:? How small is your son and thus his bike?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.