Bike insurance for garage in block

DogSlobba
DogSlobba Posts: 5
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I'm after some insurance for my new bike.

The problem is I live a flat and the garage is in a block, all of the insurance policies I've looked at so far stipulate that the bike must be kept within the confines of the property.

Is there any insurer out there that can cover me?

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Most of them.
    You have to declare it as a shared area and it must be secured to an immovable object by an approved lock.

There should not be an issue, you must be explaining it poorly, or picking weird insurance companies.

actually re-read what you said.
    Is the garage shared and part of the building, or do you mean a garage is a completely separate but still private?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Garage is completely private but about 20 meters away from my flat.

Haven't actually phoned any insurance companies yet, just read through the terms and conditions of their policies.

Cheers
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    DogSlobba wrote:
    Garage is completely private but about 20 meters away from my flat.

Haven't actually phoned any insurance companies yet, just read through the terms and conditions of their policies.

Cheers

I think you'll find this is fine as your garage is your property, you bought it/rent it as part of your flat did you not?

However, don't take what we say as gospel, the only person that can gospel you is the insurers themselves.
  • Thank you both for your quick replies.

I'll give them a ring in the morning.

Would it be worth putting a ground anchor in or are they just going to steal it whatever security measures I take?
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    If you're allowed to, put the British Army in there! Anything to slow some dirty thieves down.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • redmen
    redmen Posts: 13
    i was on the phone to black horse house insurance the other day, and im similar to you ive got a bike shed about 10 yards from my flat in the close, but not attched to the property, ive got eyes resined into the floor by the builders to chain the bike too but the insurance said as long as the door was locked their was no need to lock the bike when it's in the shed, and it was still covered
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    Briggo wrote:
    [quote="DogSlobba"

However, don't take what we say as gospel, the only person that can gospel you is the insurers themselves.

and get them to put it in writing! At the very least you write to them "As agreed/stated in telephone converstion dd/dd/yy @ time ......."
  • My insurance specified either secured by a sold secure gold standard chain and lock or in a shed with a 4 lever lock.

I dont see these as being equivalent to be honest and so I've done both.