Rider down in Canary Wharf?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
In the tunnel/underground roundabout underneath Westferry circus - went through about 4:10 and there was a car, a bike propped up at the side and someone lying on the ground. There were half a dozen people standing around and one of them was on the phone so I didn't think there was much point in me stopping and being nosey. Anyone know what happened?

Comments

• I hope the cyclist is not seriously injured - they may have got knocked unconscious and now be suffering nothing worse than a really sore head.

Personally, I've never been in that underpass - I've always gone over the top and taking in that sense of space you get when you find yourself alongside, or looking down on, the Thames when you get to the circus. Perhaps it's ok but it doesn't look like the kind of place where I'd want to go on a bike - from the outside it looks like the sort of road where drivers would speed and not expect to find anything travelling at, let alone below, the speed limit.

Is it normally ok down there, pastryboy?
  • Personally, I've never been in that underpass - I've always gone over the top and taking in that sense of space you get when you find yourself alongside, or looking down on, the Thames when you get to the circus. Perhaps it's ok but it doesn't look like the kind of place where I'd want to go on a bike - from the outside it looks like the sort of road where drivers would speed and not expect to find anything travelling at, let alone below, the speed limit.

I'm with you on that one! Why go under a dirty underpass when you have the privilege to enjoy what drivers can't?

Wish that lift wasn't out of order so often though....
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I have no problem with it - there's plenty of space in there as there's a 'hard shoulder' type area to the left (which is where the cyclist was lying today). You're in and other of there in about 10 seconds so it's no big deal.

From where I go into it it's easier to use the underpass because going up to the circus would involve switching lanes to the right and sometimes that's not easy to do.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Have to go through here each day as my car park is off the one of the roads leading from underground roundabout and it's not nice. Cars aren't looking for bikes and if it's daylight outside cyclists may not have their lights on. Hope the guy is ok.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"