Oi! Look! Important stuff ----->

13»

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    thats the thing about helmets yes you do get the anecdotes of my helmet must of saved my life, or why not try hitting your head on a stone wall and so on.

But no big drop seems to be there on population stats, the main reason seems to be that cycling is safe, clearly not 100% but like lots of things it's possible to be hurt or killed but it's very unlikely.

so the law would be solution looking for a problem.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    fizz wrote:
    I'm not so sure. Like I said I landed upside down on my head. Despite putting my hands out, they didnt touch down. I can liken it to doing a headstand in the road. the two witness' to the accident have confirmed that I flew through the air. One witness reckons I cleared the roof of the car. My Garmin shows a distinct rise in elevation at the point of impact with the car when I look back at the elevation graph.

This is what my helmet looks like now.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/fizzwheel/DSC_0196-1.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/fizzwheel/DSC_0197.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/fizzwheel/DSC_0198.jpg

Now personally I'd rather my helmet cracked like that than my skull did. I dont know how thick a human skull is. But I would wager that the helmet is thicker and also the foam is designed to absorb and deflect an impact like that whereas one's skull is not.

I wont claim that it saved my life. I shall quote what the Dr told me when he examined me. "Your helmet has prevented you from suffering a serious head injury"

Of course I'm sure all what I have written will be dismissed by those of you who dont wear or dont want to wear a helmet. You can always find statistics and articles to backup claims or statements on any point that you wish to. All I am saying is that based on my own experience there are circumstances where a helmet can help you.

Its personal choice at the end of the day. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet. So is my girlfriend, so are my family and friends.

Just out of interest, how fast were you going when you had the accident?

The reason why I'm asking is that compulsory helmet wearing would affect both those who enjoy cycling at speed and/or for long distances for fitness on main roads, and those who cycle on sit up on begs on quiet streets to do their shopping.

Personally I always wear a helmet when I'm on my road bike and cycling at pace. But I never wear one when I'm pootling about on my hybrid in a jacket and jeans running errands or meeting friends.

I've fallen off my bike with enough force to be flung through the air and to have potentially hit my head before, and I was glad I had my helmet on. But that kind of accident simply isn't likely at all when I'm bimbling about on my hybrid. This is why I appreciate that I currently have the choice to wear a helmet when I feel the need to and am not compelled to when I don't.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    notsoblue wrote:
    IJust out of interest, how fast were you going when you had the accident?
    14.9 mph according to the Garmin. The car that sideswiped me had pulled away from a stop and cant have been doing more than 10mph.