music festivals

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
any one going to any?

me and my dad try to go to a festival in wiltshire every year called End of the Road, pretty relaxed as far as festivals go

was contemplating Leeds or Benicassim but it takes about 2 weeks to receover from them..
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Taking wifey and eldest daughter to Isle of Wight (or Pile of Shite as it was affectionately know growing up in Portsmouth - Oh the irony!) festival this year; Foo Fighters, Pulp, Kings of Leon and Kasabian ain't a bad line up.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    We're thinking of going to Bestival, pretty much to see The Cure. Glasto is tempting even though the headliners don't appeal (not that that matters, there's always something/someone good on elsewhere).
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I think the family want to go to Latitude.

I'm torn as it is the same weekend as Dunwich.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my dad an mum went to the IOW an hated it (they are 60), they said there were far too many people there

i did try to buy the tickets off them but they wanted to go
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Taking wifey and eldest daughter to Isle of Wight (or Pile of Shite as it was affectionately know growing up in Portsmouth - Oh the irony!)

Oi! Says the guy who now lives in south east London :P

I try and do 1 festival a year. From the time I was 16 it's worked out that way anyway. Last year was an absolutely vintage year for Glastonbury so I'm going back again this year. A few friends are talking about hitting a coupe of European ones next year which I like the sound of...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Wifey, kids and I went to Solfest a couple of years ago (Cumbria). That was good fun; quite small, and family-orientated. Might go again this summer.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Butterd2
    Mr Plum wrote:

Apologies if I offended sir, I'm sure it's much nicer you have that tower thingy by the Gosport ferry. :D
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Apologies if I offended sir, I'm sure it's much nicer you have that tower thingy by the Gosport ferry. :D

:lol: nah it's still a sh*thole. Nice in summer though! Definitely worst places to live...

...like Leeds, or Barnsley, or Middlesbrough for example... *ducks for cover*
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Hopefully Glastonbury if can pick up some tickets in the next release. Have tickets for Isle of Wight (great line up) and the V Festival.
  • WOMAD is the best atmosphere if you like friendly lald back no hassle. It is World Music but lots of accessbile stuff too. There's usually other cyclists to go with on the mornings before the Music Starts.

I like the sound of Latitude myself.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Volunteering @ Glasto again this year

Went last year with some friends & had a blast, so going to do the same again this year & take the g/f

Festivals on the free is the way to go :D
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    All about small festivals for me this year since I've dipped out of the Marmotte.

So I'll be heading to:

The Trip festival in north Wales
    Chilled Cider in Somerset
    Festinho in Bedfordshire

And maybe one in Spain too, depending on finances.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    mudcow007 wrote:
    any one going to any?

me and my dad try to go to a festival in wiltshire every year called End of the Road, pretty relaxed as far as festivals go

+1 for End of the Road. Although wedding / 1st wedding anniversary / heavily pregnant wife have got in the way last few years. May well take a trip down there with the family this year.

Big festivals are dead. There simply aren't enough decent mainstream bands right now.
  • Butterd2
    King Donut wrote:
    Big festivals are dead. There simply aren't enough decent mainstream bands right now.

Sorry, I have to disagree there, the IoW line up is pretty hard to beat for my money. (all £475 of it as it turns out!)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Butterd2 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Sorry, I have to disagree there, the IoW line up is pretty hard to beat for my money. (all £475 of it as it turns out!)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to put anyone else's musical taste down! Admittedly IoW is one of the better lineups announced so far.
    I just think for me to go to one of the bigger festivals I'd have to want to see some of the headliners. I look at every headliner from this year's big festivals and I don't think they deserve the gig.
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    Going to Beautiful Days this year.

Headliners are Gogol Bordello, Big Audio Dynamite, The Levellers and Carter USM....bit of a nostalgia trip this one, well I am 30 Something.....
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    went to Green Man last year and I'd highly recommend. Small baby now so none this year.
  • Butterd2
    King Donut wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to put anyone else's musical taste down! Admittedly IoW is one of the better lineups announced so far.
    I just think for me to go to one of the bigger festivals I'd have to want to see some of the headliners. I look at every headliner from this year's big festivals and I don't think they deserve the gig.

Hey no offence taken, it's all a matter of opinion, and as as a friend of mine once said "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one".....
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    So far I've got tickets for

Roadburn
    http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2011/
    Hellfest
    http://www.hellfest.fr/artistes
    Seven Churches
    http://www.sevenchurchesfestival.blogspot.com/
    That one's a little smaller

Might go to the 2nd day at High Voltage and maybe the friday at sonisphere if there's any ticket blaggage going.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Butterd2
    Clever Pun wrote:

Wow, are the Scorpions still going, I saw them in 1987 at Hammersmith, they were getting old then!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Wow, are the Scorpions still going, I saw them in 1987 at Hammersmith, they were getting old then!

yeah I'll have a look at them if wind of change starts I'm running away as fast as my drunken legs will take me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Butterd2
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

yeah I'll have a look at them if wind of change starts I'm running away as fast as my drunken legs will take me

With you on that, "rock you like a hurricane" was a good 'un if they are still up to it.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm going to Bestival too. What's everyone wearing? The theme is Pop and Rock Divas or something isn't it?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Glastonbury .. Again this year, went last year. Mind blowing :)

Latitude
    V fest
    and Reading :D

An expensive summer. Sorted.
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • Orkney in May and probably Hebfest in July
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    I'll be at Sonisphere (Kinda have to be seeing as I'm a city ambassador for them)!

Cracking line-up so far!

Friday
    Diamond Head
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Metallica

Saturday
    Biffy Clyro
    Weezer
    Gallows

Sunday
    Slipknot
    Limp Bizkit

Also appearing over the weekend
    Airbourne
    All Time Low
    Arch Enemy
    Architects
    Fozzy
    Gojira
    Grinspoon
    House of Pain
    In Flames
    Inme
    Kids In Glass Houses
    Mastodon
    Motorhead
    One Minute Silence
    Parkway Drive
    Periphery
    Protest the Hero
    Sum41
    Sisters Of Mercy
    Volbeat
    You me at Six

Oh and anyone that uses my ambassador code SF39SC when booking any type of Sonisphere ticket (including Weekend camping, Rock Royalty, Early Entry, Parking, Lockers etc) through http://www2.seeticke...phere/event.asp will have the opportunity to win the ultimate Sonisphere Package. This package includes the following:

- Rock Royalty Upgrade
    - Guest Bar Passes
    - Backstage Tours
    - Tons of other Sonisphere Goodies

Plus

** A pair of tickets to Sonisphere Poland including all Flights **
    exercise.png