Cycle Superhighway 8

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
In the last week or so I have noticed some seemingly random stretches of blue paint appear on my commute in Battersea Park. The paint job seems to stop every ten yards to allow for parked cars. Do parked cars interrupt CS7? If so, what is the point of it?

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Any kind of vehicle interrupts CS7 if the driver has a mind to. And too many of them do :(

Although I have to say it's not a bad idea overall, except for that stretch just past Oval tube station towards E&C where vehicles take exception to cyclists staying in primary in the left-hand lane cos they are going straight ahead. Far better to use the blue route then signal, hoping someone will let you out :roll:

Blue makes a change from road grey/black :)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I noticed some random roadworks on York Road with a CS8 sign next to them. No doubt we'll get some narrowing of the road and kerbs in wierd places in the interests of 'safety'. I only started going that way to avoid CS7. Pah!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That'll larn ya :)
  • Kurako wrote:
    I noticed some random roadworks on York Road with a CS8 sign next to them. No doubt we'll get some narrowing of the road and kerbs in wierd places in the interests of 'safety'. I only started going that way to avoid CS7. Pah!
    The roadworks from Tate Britain to Thames House (MI5) purport to be for CS8. Looks like they are narrowing it to 1.5 lanes width from 2. Presumably to make a blue lane and a 'normal' lane? I wonder what will happen to the Chelsea-bound side - and the coach parking there?

I fear that your prediction may well come true.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Kurako wrote:
    The roadworks from Tate Britain to Thames House (MI5) purport to be for CS8. Looks like they are narrowing it to 1.5 lanes width from 2. Presumably to make a blue lane and a 'normal' lane? I wonder what will happen to the Chelsea-bound side - and the coach parking there?

I fear that your prediction may well come true.

I think the worst bit about CS7 is the Rookery Road turnoff at Clapham Common. It was always a bit hairy with 2 lanes and a pretty open left hook inducing bend, They `improved` it by making it one normal lane, one lane that's barely wide enough for a small car and one blue lane of death. The big left hook inducing bend is still there but now bikes are encouraged to be stacked up in the extreme left. I expect more of the same for CS8.