Tendinitis in the ankle

Ransaka
Ransaka Posts: 474
edited March 2011 in Health, fitness & training
As the title says, I have developed tendinitis in my right ankle, not just around the achilles tendon but also down the inside of the ankle past the knuckle of bone. GP can't fix it, I've not had much luck with resting or compression or anti-inflammatories so I have been referred to physio who will hopefully help me get it sorted.
I'm not asking for medical advice here as such I'm curious if anyone has suffered anything similar and if so how have you managed it once you've got back on your bike. I know it needs to heal before I can cycle again (been 2 months and it's driving me mad) but don't want it to recur once I'm (hopefully) fit again. Anyone use an ankle brace or anything and are they effective?

Comments

• ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Are you riding spds? If so how stiff are the soles of your shoes?
  • Ransaka
    Nope, not spd's, they scare me :) Flats, some wellgo b something or others.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    In that case you really need to find the specific cause of the tendinitis, otherwise there's no way of fixing it. An ankle brace will do very little, your guastrocnemius will still contract whilst pedaling therefore causing the tendon to rub or whatever.
  • crrazzzyy
    crrazzzyy Posts: 38
    I had this last October only got back on the bike after xmas :( Rest Rest Rest is all i can recommend.
    Ive been riding since xmas now building up slowly and touch wood so far so good although it still does feel a bit strange, no pain or anything like that cant explain the difference but it feels different to the other foot/achilles mabye a bit of scar tissue in there im not sure ?

I was considering physio but ppl told me there may be nothing physio can do but then it started to improve :cry:
    But i would say try the physio even if they just offer advice :D

Patience is the key !!! And rest as annoying as it is :evil:

Best of luck hope you get sorted !

In that case you really need to find the specific cause of the tendinitis, otherwise there's no way of fixing it. An ankle brace will do very little, your guastrocnemius will still contract whilst pedaling therefore causing the tendon to rub or whatever.

I do not know the cause of mine my GP said just overuse of it :? but why just one ?
    Who knows .... :?

Marc.
  • Ransaka
    Resting an ankle is bloody hard though. Need to drive to work so it gets abuse then and still need to walk places sadly.

Did you use compression and ice or anything to help alleviate it or did you find it of no help?

Being off the bike is annoying as hell, my fitness is evaporating. :evil: Hopefully the physio at the hospital will have some decent pointers when I finally get an appointment.
  • crrazzzyy
    crrazzzyy Posts: 38
    Yeah i know what you mean real difficult to rest i struggled to use the clutch in my disco and had to try to take it real easy at work :( .........

I did try the cold compression when it got bad but didnt really notice it helping much .......
  • Ransaka
    Well, have been to my first physio session (2 weeks from docs letter to first appointment, not bad for the NHS I reckon) and he's had a poke and a prod. It seems to be the tendon that runs down the ankle and connects to the ball of your foot (I forget it's medical name). Have had some ultrasound therapy and am due back on Thursday for another session and then some exercises and such.
    The awesome news is that he's fairly sure it won't get any worse than it currently is by riding unless I do a lot of climbing out of the saddle (which on a full susser with no lockout doesn't really happen anyway) so I'm back on the bike and OH MY GOD my calf muscles and thighs appear to have forgotten what bike riding does to them :) Took it easy on the way in and did the short on road 4 miles to work but will be attempting the 9 mile off road ride home. Can't wait :D