Latest issue of MBR?

theshabster
theshabster Posts: 28
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Does anyone have the latest issue of MBR?

I can't find it anywhere in my local area & wanted to read the Specialized Camber review that they did, along with a few other 120mm FSR bikes.

If it's legal to do so, & not breaking any forum rules, could somebody please scan in the Camber review for me if it's not too much trouble?

P.S. I think it was MBR who recently did the 120mm FSR comparison, but forgive me if I've made a mistake.

Thanks

Comments

• altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    it was in the last issue of mbr,the new issue is out 2mor,so maybe a reason you cant find it.

it was the camber expert at £1899 they reviewed,gave it 10/10.

sorry i cant be anymore help.
  • Mine's the bottom of the range Comp, but there must surely be some similarities in the ride - Doesn't help that both the front forks & the rear shock are different though!
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    It's also reviewed in this months WMB.
  • Thanks idiotdogbrain :)

I'll check out WMB as well - Are they owned by the same company as MBR?
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    No! What mountain bike and mountain bike rider are sister magazines but MBR is a different company
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    CharlieH wrote:
    No! What mountain bike and MBUK are sister magazines but MBR is a different company
    i'll correct that for you
  • Ahhh...MBR sponsored by Specialized with additional funding from Orange (which will probably be pulled after they read the review of the ST4 in this month's edition).

MBR is now a complete joke. Hideous reviews, awful journalism and a level of brown nosing that would put the MBUK/Steve Peat relationship to shame.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    TBH they are all as bad as each other..one month they recommend a bike the next week its a pile of poo.
  • Agree...I've stopped buying now and just flick through a mate's copy or have a look when the wife is picking up a stack of gossip mags in Smiths.

All the mags are dictated to by the industry. How can a bike be the ultimate trail weapon one year then complete turd the next just because some other brand has stuck a wider bar on something similar.

It appears to be the people new to the sport who get sucked into all the categorising, latest must haves and brands to be seen with. The seasoned MTBers just know what's good and what they like.

I notice that the industry is once again lining up an assault to try and convince us that 29ers are the way forward. Personally I think 29ers will go the way of Hammerschmidt and countless other crap they've tried to drive down our throats over the years.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP...as an apology if you can't get your hands on the MBR in question let me know and I'll post you a copy I have lying around the van.
  • No worries Herbie - Thanks for the offer, but from what you've just said I'll take their reviews with a pinch of salt. The only way I can come to a fair conclusion is to give the bike a good thrashing myself!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I notice that the industry is once again lining up an assault to try and convince us that 29ers are the way forward.
    The mountain bike industry is premier league when it comes to convincing people that what they bought last year simply doesn't work any more or isn't good enough this year.

Always has been, always will be.

Although the comics claim to be impartial they know it's in their best interests to keep this myth going.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I notice that the industry is once again lining up an assault to try and convince us that 29ers are the way forward. Personally I think 29ers will go the way of Hammerschmidt and countless other crap they've tried to drive down our throats over the years.

First off i agree with your other points, i was in th car industry for 15+ years and it was the same there. One min ford were the worst out there, then tehy were the best etc etc, same kinda thing. I got talking to a chap who did the some reviews, and he hinted towards how good the launch party was or how well they treated the journalists to how good the review was. how much truth in that i dont know?

As for 29ers being the way forward, i built mine last year, i will never look back. For the riding i do, its definatly faster, climbs better and rolls so much better. I sold My Scott Carbon genius in favour of the the 29er, so its not as if i didnt have a decent bike to compare it too. In fact i'm still looking at a full suspension 29er to compliment the hardtail
    as i really miss that side of bouncyness.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402

Nah, there's a huge market for 29ers in the states, that means Trek, Spech etc will keep on making them no matter what the UK market thinks.
  • Not wanting to start a 29er debate but I accept what you guys are saying. 29ers do have a place in the market (and as the yanks and other places around the world have proved) but it's the mag's that have painted them as the next big thing (for the third year running).

My beef is with the mags more than the industry as they just seem to swallow the sales patter dished out...sometimes just printing the press release word for word (yes Bike Radar, you).

I'm all for fresh ideas and innovation I just don't want it all forced down my throat with the lies that what I currently ride is obsolete and rubbish.
  • No worries Herbie - Thanks for the offer, but from what you've just said I'll take their reviews with a pinch of salt. The only way I can come to a fair conclusion is to give the bike a good thrashing myself!

And that is the only way to truly find out if a bike is right for you. Sure, use the reviews as a guide but what doesn't suit one person will suit someone else perfectly.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Eranu wrote:
    TBH they are all as bad as each other..one month they recommend a bike the next week its a pile of poo.

Couldnt agree more, one minute a bike is top dog the next its not even in the top 5, Ive stopped subscribing to WMB/MBR for those reasons among others.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    That's not completely fair- wmb have been pretty consistent in their trail bike awards for the last few years. The zesty and particularly fuel ex have been nudging around the top spot for a while. Others do come and go. I suspect the up/downgrading some get year on year is probably fairly over-exaggerated, but it probably is true!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.