How do you push?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
On those rare occasions when you're not using the thews of steel to turn your crank into an oval blur how do you push your machine?

Personally? From the saddle, not to pose but so's I don't keep smacking the same spot on my leg with the pointy bits on my track pedals.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    From the saddle. Anything else just feels a bit clumsy and awkward.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    definately by the saddle using a bit of lea to steer it hrough the commuters at Euston.

A womon once jumped in shock as I was just behind and to the side of her as the bike had overtaken her, but she hadn't clocked me - she thought the bike was as super-well balanced runaway!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Always by the bars, I've tried pushing it by the saddle, but it just doesn't seem to work - the handlebars are too turny or I'm too lacking in coordination!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Saddle, or handlebars if it's a heavy bike
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Always the bars/stem. For me, it's way more maneuverable. I've also tried the saddle technique: not great unless your headset is a bit knackered
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Always by the bars, I've tried pushing it by the saddle, but it just doesn't seem to work - the handlebars are too turny or I'm too lacking in coordination!

This is why she isn't allowed anywhere near the Spitfire!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,402
    Right hand at arms length on the stem: easy to control with other hand free and the bike is far enough away to not kick the pedals.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Always the bars/stem. For me, it's way more maneuverable. I've also tried the saddle technique: not great unless your headset is a bit knackered

When I'm pushing the bike there's generally peds about so the stem just gives more control. pushing by the seat like that and it'll be clipped all the time making progress awkward
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rolf F wrote:

This is why she isn't allowed anywhere near the Spitfire!

:lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Depends which bike really. The Tricross goes all over the place if I try to push it by the saddle whereas the weekend bikes are pretty stable by the same method.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I selected bars in the poll, but then I thought about it and realised that most of the time I probably use the stem. Sometimes the saddle.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    kelsen wrote:
    Depends which bike really. The Tricross goes all over the place if I try to push it by the saddle whereas the weekend bikes are pretty stable by the same method.

Pushed my Tricross 3 miles by the saddle a couple of months ago when I got a puncture I couldn't repair. Easy when you've got a bit of balance/hand-eye coordination :P ...granted I was walking along empty rural roads with no peds to clip the bars.

Generally I find that pushing it by the bars or stem gives me arm/back ache after a couple of hundred meters - with the saddle I can walk in a very natural upright position and it's very little effort.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I thought the point of a cross bike was you can chuck it over your shoulder :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If quiet then the saddle, bars for more control. Although I've found out today that the cables on the caad are so short that there is no need for anything other than the saddle!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    hatbeard wrote:
    I thought the point of a cross bike was you can chuck it over your shoulder :lol:

You mean portage....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The answer should really be for anyone who considers themselves a 'true' cyclist:

" I never push my bike. I only ride my bike."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The answer should really be for anyone who considers themselves a 'true' cyclist:

What about through pedestrianised town centres with "no cycling" signs? O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I had to push this morning when my chain broke :(

Used all 3 listed methods at differing times...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Agent57 wrote:

What about through pedestrianised town centres with "no cycling" signs? O_o

I think the comeback to that would be "Ride around it of course!"
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Stem for me. If i push by the saddle i end up doing ever decreasing circles.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Saddle, let's just be honest, 'cos it looks cooler!!
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Saddle, obviously.

When wheeling Boy Jr's bike back from school in the morning [his mum collects him in the evenings in the car] I like to ride mine & steer his one-handed alongside, as that has to be the coolest thing you can do when you're 14. Prob not if you're a bit beyond that tho.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    CiB wrote:
    Saddle, obviously.

When wheeling Boy Jr's bike back from school in the morning [his mum collects him in the evenings in the car] I like to ride mine & steer his one-handed alongside, as that has to be the coolest thing you can do when you're 14. Prob not if you're a bit beyond that tho.

There was a guy doing this on the way back from work yesterday. Not sure I'd fancy cycling one handed and steering another back in rush hour by London Bridge though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Stem. If I try from the saddle I suddenly find myself walking my bike into the nearest hedge.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    hatbeard wrote:

Oh yes. Had to do it on a couple of occasions this year. Once when I got a puncture and once when I blew out my rather over worn back tyre in the middle of the countryside. :oops:

First occasion was a carry of about 0.5 miles and second about 4 miles. I can now seriously vouch for the Kona Jake as a cross bike you can carry comfortably. :lol:

Mike
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mind control natch - why dont you ...?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,402
    CiB wrote:
    Saddle, obviously.

Mad skillz <ahem> indeed. Think I'd painfully write off both bikes if that were me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When I bought the Curbside for MrsAH before Christmas I had Wiggle deliver it to my office. Built it up at lunchtime and then trided the one-had push one-hand steer technique to get it home.

Unfortunately I'm reasonably large and MrsAH is vanishingly small so the bar-height differnce was not feasible.

I ended up by riding mine with the Felt slung over the shoulder 'cross style' all the way home - not very comfortable, but got there!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.