Salt Ayre Tuesday Crits: OK for racing newbie???

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
Fancy having a go at road (circuit) racing this year and was wondering if the above would be a good place to start.

Anybody have any experience or suggest an alternative that may be more suitable in the north west.

No, I'm not a member of a club but do hope to be. Winter weekends are not for cycling as I am a very busy ice hockey ref but the season is drawing to a close and it's time to hit the roads.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pretty much perfect to be honest. No dodgy corners. Only problems are the dog walkers and the odd thorny branch...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What out for those flying dogs... they hurt.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Salt Ayre's my local circuit (about 300m from my house); I've seen a few Cat 4s get their wings there, so I reckon it'd be sound. The dog walkers aren't usually that bad, I think -- but I've never raced a crit on there, only the Thursday night 10s.

You can see the track on Google maps (here; it's actually a bit wider than that now, as it got updated by the city council a couple of years ago.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Thanks guys,

sounds just the job. Thorns and dogs, what could possibly go wrong?
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    Good fast little course, when I did it last yr you all set off together, I.e with the elites and 1st cats. Supose it's like last man standing, if you can grit your teeth and hang on, you've cracked it! Picked up a 2nd there last yr, so was chuffed!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • morstar wrote:
    Thanks guys,

sounds just the job. Thorns and dogs, what could possibly go wrong?

Try a bent DA crank, Bent easton bars, two spokes out of me carbon rear tub, sheared DA pedal cracked shifter, scuffed saddle, Elephantitis of the knees, road rash a bruised (suspected cracked) rib followed by 6 hours of running repairs, customary blisters from tub removal and the hands covered in S**t from application of tub glue, only to drag my backside out of bed to get to the PimboRR the next day and then S*** yourself at running a newly glued tub at 150 PSI at 35 MPH when you've run out of gears.. Oh and ride 36 miles home because folk don't know how to race properly!

Other than that its well safe and enjoyable :)
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    so can you just turn up on the day or pre enter them, i fancy having a go at racing aswell, just entered my local cdnw round but the closed circuit thing sounds good, gotta be less pot holes if nothing else
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Nodman7 wrote:
    gotta be less pot holes if nothing else

I don't think there's a single one on the Salt Ayre track. It was relaid (and widened) a few years ago, so the asphalt's pretty pristine.

I think you can just turn up and ride at any of the crits at Salt Ayre. The Tuesday night crits series starts on 12th April. There's also a "day of racing" planned for Saturday 16th April 2011, which should include Go-Race events I think.

http://www.saltayrecycling.com/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)