What is the best hub dynamo under £50?

That_Bloke_Just_Off_The_A
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
I am looking to equipe my touring bike with a dynamo set up, I want to use a dynamo and also do my first wheel build, I want to use decent quality spokes and a decent rim, but as I am a bit pushed for money i was looking at cheaper dynamos. I was thinking of either the Novatec EDH2 hub which retails for approx £30 or the Shimano DH-3N30 so that I can retain the quick replease as I do not want a nutted wheel. Just wondered if anyone had had any previous expirences with either of them and what to look out for. I was planning to mate the hub to a rigida sputnik rim and dt swiss plain gauge spokes.

Comments

• I am looking to equipe my touring bike with a dynamo set up, I want to use a dynamo and also do my first wheel build, I want to use decent quality spokes and a decent rim, but as I am a bit pushed for money i was looking at cheaper dynamos. I was thinking of either the Novatec EDH2 hub which retails for approx £30 or the Shimano DH-3N30 so that I can retain the quick replease as I do not want a nutted wheel. Just wondered if anyone had had any previous expirences with either of them and what to look out for. I was planning to mate the hub to a rigida sputnik rim and dt swiss plain gauge spokes.

According to tests made by German magazine "Aktiv Radhfahren", then the Novatec EDH2 is probably among the worst hub dynamos when it comes to drag and low power output. It even have the same very high drag whether the light is on or off.
    The 3N30 is a better choice of those two.

FYI Rosebikes sells the very good Shimano 3N72 for around 42£:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:287965

--
    Regards
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Do not buy a hub dynamo for under £50.
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Well, that's a coincidence ! Can I add to this post a query for recommendations for a hub dynamo wheel for my Specialized Sirrus ? I only want it for commuting and the bike is inside when not in use. I would use it with a B&M IQ cyo led light. On the bike24 website I can get a wheel Shimano DH-3N80 hub dynamo and Mavic A319 rim for just less than £100. Is that a really bad thing to do ?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    not big on knowledge of hub dynamos - mine came fitted and is a shimano something. not massively heavy or draggy & so far totally reliable, but I've posted to say +lots for the B&M IQ light. also standard fit on my cannondale and a brilliant light for mating to a hub. plenty bright enough for confidence in total darkness (5am country park middle of winter) 3 x beam tilt settings and a good enough spread of light for all situations
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    beegee wrote:
    On the bike24 website I can get a wheel Shimano DH-3N80 hub dynamo and Mavic A319 rim for just less than £100. Is that a really bad thing to do ?
    No, not at all!