Conti tyres -

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Continental tyres, I've tried many:

Attack/Force - sticky to touch. Offer no p-protection. But by golly gumdrops they're fast and grip like the tyre is somehow magnetised to the tarmac. I love these but one skid and I burned through the rubber and was down to the thread. So commuting tyres these are not.

GP4000s - In the summer I often think that these make the best sporty commuting tyres of the bunch. Grippy, springy, lively, good p-protection given their sportive level. Love them.

4 Seasons - Hard bastard tyres that are a little expensive (up-until the new Gatarskins came out). Personally I think they offer marginally, to the point of not noticing, less performance than the GP4000s. But they are a little heavier due to the added p-protection and so loose points on the 'cool sporty persona' some roadies live for. If they were called "4 Seasons Sport Plus Hyper Fighters" they would be considered the best tyres in the Countryl

Gatorskins - Hard bastard tyres, but considering they seeming offer no more p-protection than the 4 Seasons nor do they offer any more grip or 'sportiness' (speed) I'm not seeing the benefit except that they are cheaper. And the 4 Seasons tyres are hardly expensive.

Ultra Sport - Avoid like the plague. These are sponges which suck up all the debris off the road so that all the people behind you have a threat free ride. You however will likely be at the side of the road crying in pain and frustration.

OK so having ridden a sizeable distance with all the above tyres (well over or up to 1000 miles easily - I got about 30miles in the Ultra Sport before they gave up) I'd honestly say that my pick of the bunch for commuting are Continental 4 Seasons. However with 40 notes in the back pocket I'd be tempted to get the GP4000s as they are/feel, in my head or in reality, more sporty.

In the summer, sprinting along on GP4000s is a sheer pleasure and very rarely do I ever get, at times usually going upwards, that bogged down or spongy feeling I get with all the other tyres except Attack/Force. In fact both the A/F and GP4000s feel springy and lively.

In the winter there is no tyre I want to lean into a bend and roar out in ferocious definance more so than GP4000s, however they won't last the whole winter - well mine didn't. 4 seasons will and with a little more testicular fortitude you can plunge into the bend balls deep just as you would with the GPS.

And there you have it a DDD what commuting tyres review based on his favourite brand Continental.

4 Seasons. Or GP4000s. You can't go wrong.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Try the Hardshell Gatorskins if you want proper puncture protection. Still roll very, very quickly and give good grip but are just about as puncture resistant as it gets (I've not had one and I'm a big f**ker riding 23s on country roads!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got a GP4000s ridden once (13 miles) after emergency purchase, pm me if you want it.. I do you a good deal ya?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hmmmmm.

i tried the 4 Seasons. One emergency stop from 20mph and the tread was ripped from the tyre. Not worn, ripped. Never again. :cry:

Who said road brakes weren't good enough and we all need discs? :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Super Sport Plus anyone? Super hard-wearing but surprisingly grippy rubber with a layer of puncture protection over a 180tpi casing with reinforced sidewalls... Great city/commuting tyre for longevity and puncture free rides and can be bought from Ribble at the moment for about £16 each (folding!).
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Currently running an Ultra Sport front, GP4000 rear. Both have been fine, both have done 1000's of miles. I'll probably puncture tonight, but touch wood the only puncture I've had in recent memory with those tyres was when I smacked my rear so hard into a pothole that the inner tube valve burst and the wheel buckled on impact.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Just replaced a 3yo 4 Seasons. Tchah! Products today, they have no staying power
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm running Top Contacts and have had 1 p-thing in 4 years of commuting. Can't fault them.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • +1 for all of what DDD said. Spot on in my experience. GP4000s are simply great.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    pm me if you want it.. I do you a good deal ya?

You dirty bastard.
    Five dorrar, five dorrar?

Ok. Me rike yur.

Four dorrar, four dorrar? Best plice for yur...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Can I add Grand Prix as well? Been using them recently for about 300 miles in some pretty crap weather, no p*nctures so far, nice and grippy even in the wet. I'm using the 24mm version, although I would say they are closer to 23's than 25's.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DDD wrote:
    Gatorskins...considering they seeming offer no more p-protection than the 4 Seasons nor do they offer any more grip or 'sportiness' (speed) I'm not seeing the benefit except that they are cheaper...

Maybe I've read it wrong, but it looks like DDD is saying that Gatorskins have no more p*ncture protection and at least the same level of grip as the 4 Seasons and cost less?!?

If that is right, why doesn't everyone use Gatorskins?
    Its what I use and, as long as they are kept up to pressure, they seem good against all but the sharpest thorns (especially that longfucker on Bromley Hill late last year).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Why not remove the tyres and tubes completely then PF visits will be a thing of the past

Be warned though handling will be less than smooth :roll:

5498171362_dbd71d331c.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    ITB, did you get red rim tape to match the new paint job? I've heard of collars and cuffs matching, but that is taking it to new levels!

• jonginge
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DDD wrote:
    Gatorskins...considering they seeming offer no more p-protection than the 4 Seasons nor do they offer any more grip or 'sportiness' (speed) I'm not seeing the benefit except that they are cheaper...

Maybe I've read it wrong, but it looks like DDD is saying that Gatorskins have no more p*ncture protection and at least the same level of grip as the 4 Seasons and cost less?!?

Its what I use and, as long as they are kept up to pressure, they seem good against all but the sharpest thorns (especially that longfucker on Bromley Hill late last year).
    IME the handling of 4 seasons is much better in the wet. Actually I've found PF protection and longevity much better than gatorskins.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • EKE_38BPM
    JonGinge wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DDD wrote:

IME the handling of 4 seasons is much better in the wet. Actually I've found PF protection and longevity much better than gatorskins.

So, 4 Seasons have better wet handling characteristics, better p*ncture protection and better longevity (but are cheaper?)
    Thanks for the clarification.

• jonginge
    4 seasons are about 10-15quid more than gatorskins, I'm afraid. Good, though (IMO)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • This thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, as I am currently running a pair of apparently bulletproof (touch wood) 4 seasons, and have been problem free since mid-summer.

EDIT: in terms of handling, even in the soaking wet I've felt like I'm stuck to the road, unlike the previous tyres I had on (Schwalbe Kojaks that came with the bike).
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I've had travel contact on my MTB (26x1.75) and that was pretty horrendous in terms of grip, but then again, the rubber was almost plasticy hard. No punctures for as long as I had them - about 2 months. I did not mind their lack of grip too much as I would just be a bit careful in the corners on the road and on hardpack paths it was not really a problem.

I just recently got a Gatorskin (25mm) for the back and it has been pretty good. I've only done about 200kms on them though. I got it replace a Michelin Krylion Carbon (23mm) as that was lacking in grip. The Gatorskin is quite a bit better in terms of braking force needed to lock it up, and hay, 25mm - may get my front tire in 25mm once the current starts to go! :P

I also rode a hire bike with Ultra Sports and they were alright, No punctures thank God! Though it was in the summer, in France, on the coast. * reminisces*