LIDL Cycling stuff. Monday 14th March

RobGT
RobGT Posts: 132
edited March 2011 in MTB general
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... date=18798

Just a quick heads up for you bargain hunters.....

Comments

• stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    got the brochure the other day and me being stupid, went in this morning >_<
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Bits bought last year
    1: Rain trousers (very good and lasted until got caught in the chain on a off)
    2: Socks (nothing special but do the job well)

Will be buying
    1: More socks
    2: Foot pump (to keep in the car after compressor broke)
    3: Gillet (never had one and it could be usefull?)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Will be buying

lol, they're the bits I have on my list!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Will be buying

lol, they're the bits I have on my list!
    at that price it would be rude not to!
    Add the waterproof trousers though for those muddy/wet days you have over there :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I'll be getting another set of their base layers, got some last time they're very good.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    that bike hoist looks not bad for £5!
  • steve1312
    steve1312 Posts: 79
    bloody typical, my dad bought the shoes last year and ive been waiting for them coming around again to get some for myself.

got bored of waiting and bought a pair of shimano shoes this weekend at twice the price :cry:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Thanks for this - thinking of getting a gillet - always fancied one, not sure why :) anyone had one from there before? Any good?
  • Posting this in each forum it's mentioned.

Pretty sure everything from the newsletter was in stock, more or less. Just a handful of people sifting through the items when I got there at around 10:20am.

These are just first impressions of what I bought, no time to test them so soon!

Socks:
    Usually take a size 8 shoe so picked up the 6-8 (39-42) and they fit snuggly. Re-enforced toe box and heel areas and narrower in-between for grip around the middle of your foot. Short cuff/collar - none of your Sky team calf length socks here! Bought 2 packs (4 pairs) and think they'll be just fine.

Jersey:
    Nice, lightweight top with a particularly long tail. 3 normal rear pockets and a small key/change pocket with (unusually) a vertical zip. I assume the "chin guard" refers to the piece of the collar which folds over the top of the (full length) zip to stop you catching it with your chin if you lower your head. I wanted a small (34?-36") but had to settle for a medium (38-40") - just slightly loose fitting on me (36" would be ideal) but not overly drag-inducing.

Performance Cycling Top:
    A compression garment. Got this in a medium too (38-40") but it still feels (correctly) very snug so you may want to get a size up if you are close to being "between sizes". Very comfortable sleeveless vest which should be good as an under layer in cool/cold weather and may work when warmer too if it wicks properly. I think it will emphasise love handles if you have them though ;-)

I didn't get the compression shorts but I'm now thinking I should, though for my ice hockey rather than cycling.

Gilet:
    Now this you may want to size down unless wearing it over bulkier jersey. I got the small and it's a slightly relaxed fit over the jersey I bought. Only a little bit though. Again, a nice long tail with a single full width zipped pocket (mesh lined). From the top of the pocket to the shoulder yoke the material is fine mesh only, no solid fabric. The front, sides, yoke and pocket area are all mesh-lined fabric. The gilet also has a generously sized zipped pocket on each side, easily big enough for bulky gloves for example.

Insulated Water Flask:
    The claim of 500ml is correct, although as is normal with insulated bottles it's larger externally (approx 750ml I'd guess). Interestingly, the inner sleeve is removable for washing (dishwasher safe apparently) which will make it much easier to see that it's bacteria-free. The outer bottle is foam lined so I suppose you could even carefully use that as a storage bottle for tools and so on if not needing it as a bottle.

The cap has a normal teeth-pull nozzle (fairly hard plastic) and there is a clear domed flip-top lid to keep the whole cap clean. Rigid clear plastic so I'm sure it would shatter or crack in a crash. Probably best not to leave it in freezing conditions either in case the plastic fatigues. But it you lose the dome, the bottle will still work the same otherwise.

Pannier Set:
    An "Ortlieb style" roll top pannier (17l each) with detachable shoulder strap (Nifco-style clips). Rubbery plastic carry handle and 3 attachment points for a rack (2 on top and one horizontal-facing at the bottom. All 3 can be independently slid along their rails for better fine-tuning of the fit by loosening their screw.

The seams are taped and the wheel-side has an inner rigid plastic liner. No such liner for the base unfortunately. A removable one would have been a nice option. The "Nifco" straps for the rolled down top are fixed to the pannier by studs rather than sewn. There's a reflective silver triangle facing the rear. Mesh outer pocket on the side (no way of sealing it though - no zip, flap or velcro) Unfortunately I had to take a lime green set but at least it's bright till it gets dirty!

Finally the Bicycle Hoist:
    I'm not planning on using these immediately but at this price (£4.99) I got two and probably would have picked up another two if not for the risk of doing a wheelie all the way home with the extra weight! Not a lot to say about this but it does have a multi-language instruction book and the English (at a brief glance) appears correct! It comes with fitting screws and rawl-plugs. My only thought might be that wider screws would give a bit more peace of mind but if you fit it to strong beams or joist, you'll probably be fine. The model is a Powerfix Profi+ KH4260, though a quick Google didn't turn up anything on it.

I didn't opt for any other items or look at them in detail. I've seen the multi-tool before though and I'm not sure about its longevity as far as the metal rounding off. Tools are something I'd never go quite so low budget on.

Any questions, please ask and I'll see what I can add.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got the rain jacket, seems decent, it'll be boil-in-bag but I just wanted a massive one to wear over my body armour for uplifts and stuff so that's cool.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The lack of the word "breathable" put me off even looking at the jacket but that seems to be the exact reason you went for it so that's cool (or not as the case may be! :lol: )

Of course, I wouldn't really expect to find a breathable jacket at that price.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The lack of the word "breathable" put me off even looking at the jacket but that seems to be the exact reason you went for it so that's cool (or not as the case may be! :lol: )

Well, I'd sooner have another super-breathable one, just not paying the price for one :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Wife picked me up the shorts, top, socks and the waterproof jacket although if you read carefully it does say it's breathable.
    Still need to buy some baggy shorts to go over shorts but Lidl didn't do em lol
  • the_Spooks wrote:
    although if you read carefully it does say it's breathablel
    :o Quite surprised by that as it didn't look to be breathable from the photos on the website or the very brief glance I had at it. I didn't pick it up or read the info on the packet so I would never have known. Not too sure how breathable it will be but you never know.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    the_Spooks wrote:
    although if you read carefully it does say it's breathablel
    :o Quite surprised by that as it didn't look to be breathable from the photos on the website or the very brief glance I had at it. I didn't pick it up or read the info on the packet so I would never have known. Not too sure how breathable it will be but you never know.
    To be fair it may say breathable but kinda doubt it, but more waterproof than the waffle fleece I wear normally lol