Rant about me bike!!!!!

TheWildHaggis
TheWildHaggis Posts: 143
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Arrghh,,

Yesterday I was taking part in an off road duathlon, all was going well until I had a chain issue.

At the top of a long climb, I tried to change form the middle chainring to the largest ring (outermost) whilst in the 2 smallest sprocket atthe rear (2nd from outerside). However the chain appeared to jam between the two chainrings, I kept peddling, it then jumped to the largets chain ring, and then jammed between the two again. Checking the chain it had become twisted, as i was in a race, i was not thinging rationally, so pulled the chain back on the middle ring and carried on. After a few more minutes it occured again causing the chain to snap. Thankfully i had a couple of quick links and a multitool so was able to fix it, but it cost me a potential 3rd place. :evil:
BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk

Comments

• mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Just check your front chain rings aren't bent after that... or that a bent ring didn't cause the problem in the 1st place. Had similar problem on mine a while back... managed to bend the middle ring back into shape with a few choice blows from *cough* a hammer.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    If the chain is twisted then it isn't going to work - split the chain and remove the twisted links...should sort it after that.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And it shouldn't have been able to get wedged between the rings in the first place, suggest there's an underlying issue.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited March 2011
    Loose crank bolts?

That's what I meant to type.
    I
    I
    I
    I
    I
    V
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    loose chainring bolts more likely...
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Perhaps lack of maintenance and lack of a pre-event check?
  • Gave the bike a very good check and cleaning two days before the event, so I dont think it was lack of maintaince.

However I used the bike this morning to cycle into work, and the same thing occured again, the chain jammed between the two chainrings. I think I may know the issue, the cage on the front mech is very loose, as in i can hold it between fingure and thumb and 'wiggle' it around by a fair amount (no dirty comments please!). The mech is only about 3month old so it should'nt have worn that quick.

Got some new cables, full outers and a new SLX mech comming from merlin, so that should solve the issue.
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk