Cut Gate/Ladybower route advice

magic johnson
magic johnson Posts: 86
edited April 2011 in Routes
Im leading a gang on a ride in April and the route includes Cut Gate between Langsett and Ladybower. Im looking for advice on which direction to ride it. The route basically goes Langsett to Hadfield, Ladybower, Derwent and across Cut Gate. Obviously we can go clock or anti-clockwise.

Ta.

Ade
Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing mtb's for too long!!

www.about-bikes.com

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I'd probably go anticlockwise and take the right hand descent down towards Langsett.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    poppit wrote:
    I'd probably go anticlockwise and take the right hand descent down towards Langsett.
    +1

Yup, id agree, take the way that descends down to Langset and take either the right hand fork down north america, or carry straight on - your choice.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    From the OP I think he's doing the very long loop(45mile?)with Doctors gate/Woodhead etc.If that's the case then do it clockwise.
    Langsett-Ladybower-Doctorsgate-Hadfield-Langsett.If you do it anti-clock wise the climb up Doctors gate will be one long walk.
  • bunyip
    bunyip Posts: 52
    I'd do it as an out and back, taking in both route options at the Langsett end (north america and cut gate) as descents and ascents including the steps down to the river. if you set off from the Ladybower end and after that your not completely knackered you've got the option to tag on numerous bits from ladybower (would suggest Whinston Lee Torr) untill you've had enough. the ride from Langsett to Hadfield is mainly canal tow path mile munching stuff.
  • sniper68
    bunyip wrote:
    you've got the option to tag on numerous bits from ladybower (would suggest Whinston Lee Torr)
    I'd leave WLT untill we've had a long dry spell...it's just a boggy mess at the minute :cry:
  • Great, thanks chaps.....just what I needed to know.

Maybe someone could give me a gr for "north america" and WLT....or even a route for next time??

And....yes, w are doing a route which appears to be 38ish miles.
    Magic

www.about-bikes.com
  • sniper68
    North American Farm(ruin)-SK20281-99758
    Whinstone Lee Tor-SK19786-87428
    North America(only named on 1:25000 maps) is just basically an old pile of rock from the long since vacated farm-house and WLT is a Rock feature that you ride past above the Ladybower Inn(A57).
  • Ah, got em. Great.

Food for thought next time methinks.

If you chaps ever want routes local to me.......Evesham, Worcestershire.....just shout.

Ade
    Magic

www.about-bikes.com
  • sniper68
    If I could offer another piece of advice it would be this....take care on the section between Ladybower and Doctors Gate you'll be riding on the A57 Snake Pass for around 6 miles.This is a very busy twisty Trans-Pennine road and at weekends,especially Sundays, it's used as a race-track by the Motorbike fraternity.There will be bikes whizzing by at 100mph+.Unlike the Woodhead Pass on the return section there is no option off road to miss out this section of "The Snake".
  • Well.....we had a cracking day, weather was great, pub grub sunday night was excellent.....and a big cheer for YHA at Crowden.

We did the route clockwise. Snake Pass is a real grueller and Doctors Gate is almost unrideable.

Those who say Cut Gates best as an out-and-back are right in my opinion......cracking trail but I think its probably best from south to north.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Ade
    Magic

www.about-bikes.com