ride vid on MotoDefy @ chicsands

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Right up - first off, there are some anomolies on this vid that I can't damn well figure out! It's my first attempt; it's not very artistic I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbJ4GqS6uM

It was recorded on my lovely new Motorola Defy, mounted to the mouth piece of a full face. I was a bit disappointed at how flat it looks but I did get loads of footage that I could review back after each take so all in all, using the phone worked pretty well.

Now then, can anyone tell me how the hell I ended up with the film skippin back just prior to each fade? It didn't skip when I had all the frames lined up. It didn't skip when I tested a single fade out. Software is Pinnacle 14.

Fire away, criticise, destroy, for with these I can eventually conquer.

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Don't know about the editing but its a real shame about Chicksands losing its northshore. Was one of the few places with decent bits that we have gradually lost over the last few years :-(
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • bluechair84
    Utterly gutted as for the first time I can get there and back in one day - 2hrs each way where as it used to be 4hr each way.
    The ladder drops have already been destroyed and are being turned into DJs.

Why the hell can't there just be a standard, applies to bikers in all FC forest, no-litigation rule for bikers? I'm sure the vast majority are happy to accept the consequences of their riding. We mostly get injured all the time, the people that actually ride this stuff are the sorts who send in their injuries to MBUK for a damn laugh!
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    top video....what the phone like im thinking of getting it this week.
  • Nice video man!

Wish we had some northshore/djs around in my area to hit. I have no idea where, but there's gotta be something decent near me!
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    For phone footage that looks pretty good.

How did you actually mount the camera?

I've seen the skipping thing before - I think it might be some timecode issues when rendering the final video - what file format does the Defy save to and did you need to convert it before importing into Pinnacle?

slainte :) rob
  • bluechair84
    bellys wrote:
    top video....what the phone like im thinking of getting it this week.

Hey Bellys, I've written a sort of mini review of how the Defy copes as a bikers phone on my blog - see sig. I'm finishing it off tonight with a few pics of it in action. Simply put though, it works through a gloved hand fine, GPS lock is fast, a few minor issues with Android OS but Motorola are releasing an Android 2.2 update soon which might fix my complaints.
    Cheers Monster :) Where are you based?
    rob/pHz wrote:
    For phone footage that looks pretty good.

How did you actually mount the camera?

I've seen the skipping thing before - I think it might be some timecode issues when rendering the final video - what file format does the Defy save to and did you need to convert it before importing into Pinnacle?

slainte rob
    Yo pHz or... Rob - what on Earth does Slainte mean?? I see you drop it in all the time and it's always confused me!

If you look at the vid you can see, about half way through, a double speed scene where we're wrapping a buff around the chinguard, with a big stick at the bottom. The phone went on top of these with the stick giving it a better angle (pointing up far more than it would without). Then a velcro strap wrapped tiiiiiiight around the whole lot. Worked really well. Good thing about the defy is it's slightly rubbersied to it doesn't slip around much.

As for the format - Defy recorded in .3gp (?). Pinnacle opened it right away with no issues. I got the scenes all lined up fine. Added all the transition fades, found it skipped backwards every time! I'll experiment tonight and might re-uipload it if I can fix it.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    ah velcro - I saw the bit with the buff but couldn't then quite work out how you fixed the camera - nice hack.

('slainte is gaelic for 'cheers' or 'good health')

slainte :) rob
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    Why the hell can't there just be a standard, applies to bikers in all FC forest, no-litigation rule for bikers? I'm sure the vast majority are happy to accept the consequences of their riding. We mostly get injured all the time, the people that actually ride this stuff are the sorts who send in their injuries to MBUK for a damn laugh!

its nothing to do with the FC anymore, up until recently, it was, which is why they still had the shore, the insurance company would cover it. the park is now operating on a private commercial licence (hence the fence all the way round to keep those pesky walkers out).

with it being privately run, without the FC, it also has to be privately insured. the guys that run it asked the insurance co for a quote to keep the shore, even if it was a silly high amount just to get an idea of what it would cost and were told flat that they wouldn't insure it :( its a shame, as i was looking forward to learning on it.

the ladder drops will return, but built out of dirt. they'll still be the same height etc, but not 'ladders' anymore. Im not to sure whats happening to the wallride, there was talk or reinstating that out of dirt as well, but im not sure if its actually going to happen.

anyway, got a bit side tracked there, were you up there on yesterday? im sure i remember seeing that coiler up there.

nice video BTW
  • bluechair84
    Ahh cheers for that. But I still don't understand the need for any insurance at all. Just another example of how having insurance makes people suffer. Top info though.

No we were there Sat. Was really busy! Excellent stuff.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    If only they said, " Use the park at your own risk, you won't be allowed to sue in the event of an accident" blahdy blahdy blah

We all know that our sport is dangerous but we do it anyway because we enjoy it/are mad/are stupid. How many mtbers would really sue if they hurt themselves when mtbing? We take the the risk when we ride, wherever it is.
  • Koiler
    from what i gather, without insurance, they would be personally liable, or the southill estate (land owner) would be liable and im guessing if that was the case, there would be no bike park.

i know what you mean though, we all know its dangerous, thats half the fun! i i came of last summer and broke a few things (luckily only bones, the bike was fine) and the though of sueing never ever crossed my mind and it never would. if something looks to be well beoynd what im capable of, i leave it well alone until i feel ready to conquer it.

im sure i remember reading that someone was trying to sue glentress after crashing there
    If only they said, " Use the park at your own risk, you won't be allowed to sue in the event of an accident"

i thought that too, wondered if they could just give you a waiver form that you had to sign when you paid to ride, apparently though, some legal type bods said that waivers count for nothing and they (or the landowner) would still be liable. hence the insurance ruining everyone fun.

it makes me wonder how woburn is still operating though as there's far scarier stuff up there than at chicksands
  • bluechair84
    The lad in the vid broke his arm there a few years ago too. Maybe if the land owners knew just how many people actually hurt themselves and don't sue they would feel rather optimistic... or possibly even more scared off?
  • Koiler
    people hurt themselves all the time up there but i guess it would only take 1 idiot to sue and ruin it all.

sad as it is though, seems to be the culture now, no win, no fee, if you hurt yourself, someone else is to blame even if its your own fault.
  • I'm confused by this tech talk.

But Bluechair, i'm in St. Poelten, Austria!
  • bluechair84
    Aaah yes... you can't see the location bit of the profile after you clicked reply...
    Well, I was going to think on if there was a park I knew of near you but I definitely don't!
  • Aaah yes... you can't see the location bit of the profile after you clicked reply...
    Well, I was going to think on if there was a park I knew of near you but I definitely don't!

Closest park is like a 2 hour drive from here, which once weather is nice again I will be making a trip there. Determind to learn to jump properly as well! Well to learn is not the problem, I already know how. I'm just a b!tch with it. haha
  • bluechair84
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1lZbE9CD_E

Thanks for the reminder, I've fixed the timeframe error, made some hardly noticeable adjustments and reupped it to the above link.

Enjoy! :o