Max hurzeler Classic April 10th mallorca

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
Hi all

Anyone coming over here or will be here on April the 10th? Or indeed anyone entered? Quite a big thing 156km I think 96 miles and 7500ft of climbing? Im entering tomorrow as my first event so should be a giggle last year nearly half didnt finish? It seems a challenge not a race its just to see if you can make it round. I rode most of the course last weekend and must say its a killer the mountains come at the end as well. Anyone do it last year? Any tips or just sleep in an conveniently miss the start?

heres the link to it

http://www.vueltamallorca.com/classic-b ... eler/2011/

Comments

• 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Its too busy to be much fun, and by the time you get to Col De Monnaber the road closing normally has gone to shite, so not sure the value in doing it unless you want to go for the timed element (nice fast descent int Soller with 500 others, though!)...having said that, I may well end up doing it as Ive got a couple of clients who may be going...if you do want to go, one idea is to drive down, pick up the race number and register then drive up to, for example, Inca and you can cut out the 80kms odd of flat stuff riding in a big big group...

The only sportif really worth doing here is trencagarrons in September when you get to go up Puig Major..
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • 4kicks
    btw the alitimer on your tagline photo is way wrong, Monnabers not more than 900ms up!
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    4kicks wrote:
    The only sportif really worth doing here is trencagarrons in September when you get to go up Puig Major..

I have done the trenca garrons and enjoyed it a great deal. You basically ride in a big bunch until the start of the closed military road where you go over a timing mat. They time how long it takes you to get to the top of the mountain, where you stop for refreshments and wait for most of the riders to get to the top. After that you ride back to Alcudia.
    It is one of the few times a year that they open the road to anyone.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • 4kicks
    I love it, but the descent en masse down 12-15% gradients if its raining, like it was2 or 3 years ago, is well scary!!
  • Steve GT
    Must have been 3 years ago as I did it 2 years ago and it was dry.
    I was busy taking some photos when most of the bunch started back, so I was not in the bunch. I also missed the turn back to Alcudia in Caimari and got back to the start via Selva, Inca and Sa Pobla.
    I have 2 weeks booked in Pollensa in Septemeber and will try to enter the Tren garrans again.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • 4kicks
    I suspect its gonna be busy this year, if you need an Balearics Cycling affiliation entry let me know..Im definatley gonna try and do it again but it depends on work :(
  • Steve GT
    Ta for that 4kicks. I will keep that in mind if I have any problems.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Steve GT wrote:
    4kicks wrote:

I have done the trenca garrons and enjoyed it a great deal. You basically ride in a big bunch until the start of the closed military road where you go over a timing mat. They time how long it takes you to get to the top of the mountain, where you stop for refreshments and wait for most of the riders to get to the top. After that you ride back to Alcudia.
    It is one of the few times a year that they open the road to anyone.
    As I've ridden past the military check-point I've often wondered how long the road goes on for.

Does it go all the way to the observatory? Is it in good shape? Is it difficult or not too steep?

Thanks for satisfying the curiosity.

Best (new to me) climb on the island I recently discovered is the 5km dead-ended road down to Port de Valldemosa AKA Sa Marina (the road is the MA-1131 on Google maps). It's not as long as the Colobra but I bet it's steeper. I had no way of measuring it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Steve GT
    [quote="FransJacques
    Does it go all the way to the observatory? Is it in good shape? Is it difficult or not too steep?
    [/quote]

In 2009 we were stopped about 300 meters from the observatory, but it looked as is if the ride could have gone all the way to the observatory last year.
    The road as far I can remember was OK. A few rough patches, but nothing too bad.
    It is much harder than the Colobra. Has some sections that are are close to 20%.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • 4kicks
    Never goes "All the way" to the observatory, normally stops 100m short...
    Steepest climb on the island is actually a little known climb called Cami des Cargol up from Genova which touches 20%. Puig Major is only 15%.
  • 4kicks
    So Jeff, did you break 5 hours for this?