1/9 Set up.

jklash1987
jklash1987 Posts: 136
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi, Im building up a hardtail and would like to compliment it with a 1/9 set up. I pedal hard on high gears and never use the Middle and Granny ring, I only use the outer 44T Ring.
Could I just use the 44T alone up front, and would I need a chain guide/guard?
I havent purchased any cranks, chain or guides/guards yet.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you Superman?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    I run 1x9 on my HT. I tried a couple of different chain guides when I switched and eventually settled with an n-gear jump stop and a bash ring...Never dropped the chain and its totally silent unlike the chain devices I tried. Guess its down to personal pref at the end of the day but I like my bikes to run sliently so was the best (and cheapest) option I found.

I run 32T tho....44T sounds BIG for 1x9 mtb set up...You obviously have more power in your legs than I do :lol:
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Fenred wrote:
    .You obviously have more power in your legs than I do :lol:

Or it's really flat :P

The only problem I can think of, is to get a decent chainline you might have to run the chainring where the middle ring sits. The chainstays may not be crimped enough for it to clear.
  • jklash1987
    jklash1987 Posts: 136
    cooldad wrote:
    Are you Superman?

Yes.
    Fenred wrote:
    .You obviously have more power in your legs than I do :lol:

The chainstays may not be crimped enough for it to clear.

I didn't take clarence into consideration... Its an 'Aggressor XCR' frame... So an Avalanche 2008 I think. I'l measure the diameter of the outer ring on my I drive (as that is 44T) and see... Do they make Middle fit Rings in that size though? and do I need a guard/guide?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Guides and guards are easy to get hold of. I think the E13 XCX goes upto 44t

I couldn't tell you if the ring would fit or not. I did used to run an old steel Diamond Back with a 44t ring and it just cleared but aluminium frame, I wouldn't know.

As for the ring, it should mount of in the middle ring position. Try and get one with out and shifting ramps or pins as it'll usually last longer and not jump around as much
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    do you need a guard/guide?

Depends on the kind of terrain you ride, if you ride very flat terrain you might get away without, if you are riding trail centres and/or tougher terrain deffinately.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28192

One of these should do the job. 42t middle ring. Most DH chain guides should work with a ring that big, pretty sure a superstar chain guide will work.