Buying a left crank arm only and not the whole crankset

f_rederik
f_rederik Posts: 53
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Having just taken delivery of a Kona Paddy Wagon (single speed) to use as a winter workhorsee for my commute, I am having some issues with the threads in the left crank arm.

I suspect I might have damaged the threads having changed around the pedals a few times.

Does anyone know where I can get the left crank arm only? Don't want to buy a new crankset unless I really have to.

The crankset is the FSA Tempo (City).

Any clues?

(Very chuffed with the bike so far, by the way, but then again my commute is mainly flat ;-))

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Damaging threads when whipping pedals in & out is easily done even if you're very careful as I know to my cost to the tune of £50 for a Sugino Messenger chainset. It might be worth looking at velosolo or charlie the bike monger for a cheap SS chainset if you can't find a LH crank.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    I completely destroyed the thread in the right crank on my bike on Monday- overtightened the clipless pedal I'd just put it in and 8 miles later the thread was completely bare. Mine was an FSA Omega Mega Exo Chainset, couldn't find a right crank by itself so replaced the whole chainset. Perfect excuse for a bit of an upgrade too though, replaced the BB whilst I was at it :D
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Have you priced up getting the thread Heli-coiled at your nearest engineering company or garage?
    "Coming through..."
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    There is an answer to wreaked threads. Find a friendly engineering prototype workshop and ask them to install a thread insert. They will machine out the thread and install the insert. Make sure they install the correct hand of thread.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.