biginner first time to sherwood pines

rugbylions
rugbylions Posts: 5
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
hi

i am a novice to all this downhill, xc and full suss and so after a lot of cycling around my local area i decided to go to sherwood pines and give it a go. so i did on saturday 5th march 2011

The first thing is what a beautiful area, turn up and there was a few people there that looked like they new what they where doing so i kept my head down.

I found one of the information boards that gives you directions to the different runs, so i was trying to find the kitchener which i couldnt find. so i just went down the blue run which was great. As i was near the end of the blue run some how i found the beginning of the kitchener and all i can say was wow great brilliant really glad that i gave it a go.

so my point is to all them novices out there get out there go and try the great places out there like sherwood pines and cannock chase and ride them.

Can anyone suggest any where else i can try around the Midlands area

Many thanks

Rugbylions

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try the Rides and Routes fora.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    cool, this place sounds great, after reading your post I think i'd like to visit this place.. :D
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    done cannock and a trip to sherwood planned soon

im just a hack about rider on a crap ht but had bags of fun at cannock did the FTD and the monkey. I was slow came off but had huge grin on face, i stopped to let quick riders through and it was all good

fave part was having a coffee in the car park after chin wagging with complete strangers, mtbers real nice bunch :D
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I can be a regular over the Pines way; I'm new to Newark and haven't really found much else worth riding so far apart from driving out to Derbyshire.
    You should check out sherwoodpinescyclingclub as they ride every wed and fri nights and some Sun mornings. They take different routes around the forest and got out of it entierly too. It's about the best thing going in this area really.

If you're struggling to find the Kitchener, you can just ride back out along the road that you drove in on and you'll see it cut across from the left to right. Or ask at the shop. They're good guys.
  • Gaz2405
    Gaz2405 Posts: 9
    My GF has just got into mountain biking and this was her first trail and she loved it.

2nd time she was doing doing the bombholes on the downhill sections.

Very good place for beginners in my book and still exciting enough for more seasoned riders.
    2009 Kona Stinky and looking for an xc hardtail
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Sherwood is very basic once you get comfy on it get further north to Dalby near pickering and out into the peaks especially the Ladybower area some very very very technical riding there especially jacobs ladder.
  • bunyip
    bunyip Posts: 52
    pines is definately tame, but as most on this post are saying, i dont think theres a better introduction to mountain biking for a novice (although reds aren't meant to be for novice's this one isn't really a red) if you do it a few times untill you are comfortable on it be assured you're ready to step up to the next level with confidence i.e. a red from one of the mtb mags would be the next test to progress nicely and still be enjoyable :)
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    There's plenty that can be learnt at Sherwood. Due to it's none technical nature it offers plenty of scope for building on your technique. Also the jumps and DH area are great fun. Keep your eyes open for new skills courses and open days over the summer.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • MrVanilla
    MrVanilla Posts: 60
    I was there today and had a cracking run, the whole route is now completely dry so you can get some real speed up on some of the sections. Red Run is definatley not a "red" by other trail standards but it's great fun nonetheless. You could do this run on a Halfords el-cheapo bike and not struggle.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Sherwood Pines is a good place for beginners, been there many times on holiday and on days out when we lived there, but it is a family place, so I see no pros there, however it is a great place for a family day out.

Look on it as a great fun place, no more, when you are truly into it, come to our tracks. Woodland Riders, Devon.

http://vimeo.com/4195104
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html