MTB jersey or base layer advice

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a long sleeve top to wear while it's still cool to keep the chill off my chest and arms. I'm not sure whether to go for a MTB jersey or go for a base layer.

The jersey looks more versatile. Does anyone have any of the above? How are they quality wise? Open to other suggestions?

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Personally, I always wear a base layer, be it a short sleeve one in the summer, or a short sleeve one in the winter under my jersey. I find it better, as if you wear bib shorts like me, I find the shoulder straps to rub if against bare skin.

I use this long sleeve base layer - has been going strong for over a year now with weekly abuse (albeit last years model)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-lon ... ase-layer/
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I just use the baselayers from uniqlo. Works well on the motorbike too & nice & cheap :D
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • I like these from the Mountain Warehouse

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/c ... p2284.aspx
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    hard-rider wrote:
    I'm looking for a long sleeve top to wear while it's still cool to keep the chill off my chest and arms. I'm not sure whether to go for a MTB jersey or go for a base layer.

The jersey looks more versatile. Does anyone have any of the above? How are they quality wise? Open to other suggestions?

you want both! the base layer to draw sweat away from the skin and the outer to keep the elements at bay.

Even in the summer I'll wear a light ss base layer under a light top
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    hoochylala wrote:
    Personally, I always wear a base layer, be it a short sleeve one in the summer, or a short sleeve one in the winter under my jersey. I find it better, as if you wear bib shorts like me, I find the shoulder straps to rub if against bare skin.

I use this long sleeve base layer - has been going strong for over a year now with weekly abuse (albeit last years model)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-lon ... ase-layer/

+1 for the DHB long sleeve base layers. I have had a zip neck version on the go for 3 years now still going strong, wear it 2 or 3 times a week autumn to spring plus night rides in summer. Got a short sleeve zip neck base layer from the cyclejersey.com gets a lot of wear as well, winter its often in my rucksack as a spare layer because it scrunches up small, summer its often used under a baggy downhill jersey.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    Helly Hansen Lifa vest - long-sleeved in winter with another short one on top under a Pace jacket.
    Short-sleeved one under a normal 'race' jersey in the summer.
    No matter how hot it gets a 'technical' base layer is a good idea as it wicks sweat away from the torso leaving you feeling more comfortable.
    How hot?
    Well the hottest I've experienced was 61C and I still wore a base layer (not cycling, but 'other stuff'...).
    And drank about 20 litres in four hours and was still dehydrated to the extent that I had to take a little 'time out' due to the onset of heat-exhaustion.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    hard-rider wrote:

I've got both, and both are pretty good. I usually put the base layer under this jersey or MT-500 jersey-jacket when it's colder. I also use this jersey (without the base layer) when it's not that warm to ride in a short-sleeved one.
  • hard-rider
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I didn't realise that I should be wearing both a base layer and jersey. I always though that I'd be too hot for that in the climate we have here. I didn't realise they were effective at managing body heat in warmer climates too.
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    I'm a big fan of Endura and have various items of their clothing including the Baa Baa Merino and Frontline base layers. I also have a couple of DHB items (Roubaix tights and a DHB Windslam Roubaix jersey).

However I don't think you can beat Icebreaker when it comes to merino base layers.

Evans have the Icebreaker Oasis 200 on offer at the moment for £34.99 (Plus another 10% if you if use the promotional code EXTRA10 at checkout). Although I have not tried the DHB merino's (150 or 190), this one in my opinion is better than the Endura Baa Baa. I don't know what the thickness of the Baa Baa is.

The Icebreaker Oasis is comfortable and it doesn't itch at all. Highly recommended.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ice ... r-ec019855
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Not sure if they still have them but my local TKmax was doing a load of baselayers.

Picked up a nice long sleeved bamboo fibre top. It's similar to merino in that it's antibacterial. The problem I have with man-made fibres as base layers is that they stink after a days ride. Merino or bamboo doesn't suffer in the same way... well for me personally.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    hard-rider wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I didn't realise that I should be wearing both a base layer and jersey. I always though that I'd be too hot for that in the climate we have here. I didn't realise they were effective at managing body heat in warmer climates too.

Remember that the base layer needs to be a tight fit to do it wicking job properly
  • hard-rider
    Piquet wrote:
    Remember that the base layer needs to be a tight fit to do it wicking job properly
    Good point.

I've decided on getting a couple of the [ur=http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-long-sleeve-round-neck-base-layer/l]dhb base layers[/url] but need to know how good their sizing is. I seem to be between L and XL on the chart. Can someone who has the same confirm if the sizing is accurate. Also they state that they are a relax fit. Doesn't this contradict the fact that it should be a tight fit?

Also, looking at gettingthis Endura jersey. All my previous Endura stuff required one size larger than their sizing chart suggests it should be. It is also the case for this jersey?

Having this shipped to the Algarve so don't really want to be messing with having to send stuff back if I can help it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just a very faint whiff of spam, Steven Santini?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yep, looks like the poster has joined numerous forums just so that we all know how good they are