Riding everyday

struck
struck Posts: 320
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I've been riding almost everyday for about 3 years and getting frustrated with how often i have to replace parts even though i generally keep everything clean and maintained. I run 1x9 and bought new saint cassette, shimano 9spd hg93 chain, jockey wheels and chain ring in novemeber. After 3 months its all worn and needs replacing, been a harsh winter but not what I expected after paying so much for top end shimano stuff... so is it really worth it or am I best getting the cheapest cassette,chainring and chain and running them til their finished?

Anyone know how long they should last, commuting everday about 3-4miles?

Thanks

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Generally, when I was commuting I replace my chain and cassette between 1000-2000 miles and my chain ring maybe twice that. I'd run a cheap set up and save the decent kit for my other bikes.

Now I have a single speed bike for commuter use and I get about 5000 miles out of each chain
  • On a bike with daily usage you definitely don't want top of the line stuff. I'd say deore at most, at least you get 3 or 4 changes out of a single change of saint costs.
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    I commuted about 40 miles a day, 5 days a week all year round for about three years.
    Chains would be replaced about every two months and cassettes every four. Chain-rings annually.
    That bike didn't get my full level of TLC on a daily basis: a daily wipe-down and a blast with WD-40 to stop it rusting away in the winter and a drag-through with an oily rag to keep the chain working. Slightly more if it got wet.
    A 'proper' clean once a week.

Buy the cheapest bits you can find - nothing lasts well in that environment.
  • The higher end of the market is generally aimed at performance, with durability coming second. A set of steel chain rings may weigh half a ton but they'll outlive their lightweight aluminum counterparts by a long way.

Then again. If you're pedalling some serious distances, what's a few quid? I go through £250 a month in petrol alone..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I replaced my middle ring with a deore steel one, can't say I noticed the extra weight, but I'm sure I would have noticed the fact that the alu one wouldn't still be working.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What do you people do?!

I commute about 100 miles a week on the road in all weathers, often use the same bike at the weekend. I've washed the bike once since November, it's had a bit of lube periodically. The chain's dead (but then it's now 2 years old, and has done at least 5000 miles, virtually all in winter), but it all still works.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    njee20 wrote:
    What do you people do?!

I commute about 100 miles a week on the road in all weathers, often use the same bike at the weekend. I've washed the bike once since November, it's had a bit of lube periodically. The chain's dead (but then it's now 2 years old, and has done at least 5000 miles, virtually all in winter), but it all still works.

Do you ride in a coocoon ?! lol. your lucky not having to change bit more regular.

GT85 + rag the chain each week, proper lube (plus make sure excess is wipped off cause thats what attracts the dirt and you only need oil inside on the links) and it should last ages !
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I don't get it. I commute about 7 miles a day on my old hack and have been doing so for about 5 years in all weathers. Every component on the bike is probably a minimimum of 15 years old bar the tyres and pads.

I can't recall the last time I cleaned it. The gunk on the chain has worn so smooth I think it now acts as a lube! ;)

I just lob a bit of 3-in-1 on it from time to time and it keeps on going. I'll replace bits when they actually stop working, rather than when they simply look a bit worn.

Steel rings/sprockets are a must I think if you want low maintenance and high mileage over weight and performance.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • struck
    struck Posts: 320
    thanks guys, i guess its just how much cash you can throw at your bike. it was nice slick shifting while it lasted but next time i'll get the cheapest, and i dont replace things when they simply look worn i usually run em into the ground i just didnt think it would be so soon. still, its much cheaper (more importantly, greener) than driving :)

i run singlespeed on my dh and street bikes its so much less hassle. I used to run ss on commuter bike but i prefer quick acceleration around traffic etc rather than the high speed you can get to on ss.

arkady001 - 40 miles a day! thats some commuting you thought about london2012? replacing chain every 2months and cassettes every 4 months doesn't sound too bad if its the cheap stuff.

Thanks again
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Register as a VIP customer with Merlin and you can get a Deore groupset for just £175, including V-brakes.

The shifting is as good as shifting gets but it'll last a lot longer than the top end stuff.

Having said that, i'd still swap out the Shimano chain for a KMC one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My hack bike is about 25 years old and everything apart from the tyres and chain is still original.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools